Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YES! I won the auction for a Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, Sep 4, 2002.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I have tried a Thumb before and loved the sound.
    I got this one for $820.00.
    So what do you guys think. Did I get a good deal?
    Any known issues with the Thumb 4 Bolt-On?
    I know that it has a neck-dive issue, how serious is it.
    As I said, I tried one once in a music store, but didnt have it strapped on, so not sure how bad it is.
    Thanks.
    Vegaas

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The neck dive is bad, but there are worse. And anything under about 900 is a good deal (900 being about the average).

Is it a new one, with the Ovankol bodies and neck? They are good, but not quite as good as the older Wenge necked ones. If you somehow got a Wenge necked one, then it's an amazing deal.

Either way, it's a killer bass. About the neck dive: a trick (that I've heard of) is attach some weights to the inside of the control cavity to make the body heavier. Or lighter tuners on the neck, or both.

Though something cheaper and pretty darned effective is a thick leather strap that grabs your shirt. This is what most Thumb players do.

3. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I have a thick leather strap already, so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue.
    It says its a Ovankol body and neck with Wenge fignerboard. So it must be a newer one. Oh well.
    The one I tried at the music store was new and that was about 6 months ago, so the sound that I really liked would be the same as this.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good for you then. I like the Thumb basses myself, but have money going towards other basses at the moment. But, try as they might, nothing sound like a Thumb, and I do like the tones they have. If I could come across a good deal on one, I'd pick one up.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Welcome to the Warwick family! You got a great bass!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, for a Warwick guy, you sure don't play a lotta Warwicks. What's up with that? When you do, you play a SSII right?

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Thanks Woodchuck.
    I have a gig on the 28th and cant wait to strap it on on stage.
    I have always felt Warwicks are "sexy" basses (sp?). Cant wait.

8. What was it that one guy said in another Warwick thread? oh yeah THUMB BASS DOMINATES LOL!!!!!!
    Seriously though its awesome you got one, I love my Thumb NT :)

9. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I need to find that thread.
    The sound of wood. Yes!

10. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    god, i have a thumb b/o 5 and i feel no problem with the neck...whats the deal?

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Glad to see you got the Thumb. Welcome to the family. It's one of the most unique looking and sounding instruments you can get. Make sure you wax it once in a while to keep the wood healthy. Your gonna be happy with your new bass!

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're probably one of the lucky few with a decent strap.