Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YES!!! New G&L, #6 or #8 neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Aug 25, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Well I sold my beloved jazz on ebay. It was everything I thought I ever wanted since I started playing. I'm poor right now and can't afford to keep one high priced bass and buy another so I had to do it. The G&L L-2000 has been calling me all this past year and I had to give in, it was a sooner-or-later thing. I plan on either black or honey tint with birdseye, I wish I could get the flamed maple top but I think it's out of my league for now. Anyway my question is which size neck most resembles my Jazz neck the 12" or 7 1/2" radius? Thanks in advance, this is such an awesome forum. I'll post pics real soon by the way :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :) :bassist:

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    7 1/2" = Jazz; 12" = P bass

If you decide you could deal with a 12", check out the "new" G&L L-2000 I have in the ad forum with a Honeyburst Quilt top.

3. ?....Jazz and P basses both have the same radius, usually 9.5" for American Standard series, or 7.25" for American Vintage series. So it all depends on what you're used to.

I'm also craving one of these beauties with a jazz neck, I've played Vintage Jazz Basses all my life so I will go with a #6 neck. :D

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks, yeah I remember now the Miller Jazz has a 1.50 nut and 7.25 radius. What do you guys say, black or honey (not honeyburst)?

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I like honey--- black is cool, but shows finger prints like crazy.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey thanks yeah, honey it'll be, no binding. Hey can someone please give me a boost? I woke up this morning after polishing my jazz up last night getting it ready for it's new owner, and a mean dark cloud appeared over my head in my room. It's got so much sentimental value, my first "real bass". Anyway, someone please re-affirm that I'm making an awesome decision? Please... :rollno: :scowl: :bawl: :smug: :p :bassist: :hyper: <---after the transaction & I get the G&L

7. I got the #6 neck and it greatly resembles my Jazz bass. Get the gun oil tint. ;)

8. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Ape, listen to yourself, you bumbling, rambling fool. The Sadwosky Metro's and L-2000's are twice the wood your MIA was, TWICE!!!

:hyper: Hey thanks Ape, I AM making a great decision, just after this I'm REALLY not going to sell off any basses. I'm not.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks, I think it's settled, honey body with gun oil birdseye.

10. Go with no fretboard dots (inlay), real slick looking IMHO ! :hyper:

11. Nah, birdseye is for guys in wedding bands. I'd go with a Honey blonde finish w/ wood binding and straight grain maple fb w/gun oil tint. ;)

12. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Nice, I seen that one, I've seen all used G&L's for the first 15 or so pages of the google search :D
    I don't like gold hardware at ALL and I'm almost certain that's the fat P-ish neck. Very nice price though, that thing must have been over 2500 easy when ordered. There's a reason whoever had it gave it up, too. Yeah I don't know about tinted birdseye anymore, I like the contrast between a clean, bright maple neck/board and a oil, black or blueburst body. What do you guys think about a blueburst body w/wood binding and all straight grain maple? The non-birdseye, non gun tint would be totally fine and easier on the pocket too.

13. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    It was kind of weird. That fancy G&L was in the new Bass NW inventory, and suddenly appeared used one day. Took a ding or something? I'm pretty sure it has the "P" neck, as well.

If any G&L afficiandos are interested, the piece I'm selling is very similar and has a lower entry price (hope I'm not violating policy by posting a link).

www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139980

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sounds like it would look great. Seriously, though, don't underestimate the finger print issue with black basses.

I don't like the binding because it bothers my wrist, as I have the unfortunate technique of resting my forearm a little on the top of the bass. I have the same issue with the Rumble Fish, although they tried to address it with some funky metal protective stuff.

15. Someone on another forum noticed the same thing.