Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes on a Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/landmark_sounds/Yes.mp3
    I think this was reocrded using one of the fancy Tech 21 amps with basically two blendedable Sansamps in it(forget its name off hand). Basically, I was wondering how to get a nice obnoxious Squire-like tone from my BDDI? I know I won't fully be able to replicate it, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction! Cheers.

2. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    There must be some hardcore Yes fans on here that can help me.....

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    lots of treble, a pick, a ric and a slight bit of grind

4. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That really rolllls off the tongue. Kinda Raps good.
    (Sorry)

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Not got a Ric. I do have a Thumb, which out of all my basses will sound the brightest. Also, it sounds like there's a fair amount of bass in there along with the treble. Should I use my presence dial or treble dial to get this kind of trebllyness?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    bit of both

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think Chris Bi Amped to get that tone..... I can get a pretty good Squire tone with my Carvin+Sansamp+Hartke Biamped. He also used a coin for a pick.

8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I used to own a Warwick Thumb, too in my ProgRock period. I can agree: very bright.
    On a related note: may be you could add some light chorus. I remember getting back from a Yes concert, taking out my tech21 sansamp classic and my tc electronic corus pedal and getting good results emulating Squire's sound. I think any chorus pedal would do the job: slow speed, barely any depth/feedback. Just a slight shimmer.

9. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Ok cool, thansk for the help. I dialled in a fairly good representation with my Spector(it was the first bass that came to hand), and then customised it to a more 'me' tone. It's pretty ballsy(treble at 3/4, presence flat, and bass at 1-2oclock, with drive at about 1-2, drive at about 40%, and level at about 3oclock).

10. +1 to the coin.

I believe he was purported to have used a quarter on Roundabout, though I don't know if that was a standard thing or not.

Definitely will give you a raspy bright sound though!

11. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I did actually try that a while ago, but it turned out to be quite clicky and sounded a bit tinny, so I didn't do it again.