Yes reunion - I would SO like to be able to see this tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jaygetsreal, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Giff, gzarruk, GodsLove66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Chris? Alan? ;)

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Sorry my friend, but it could be better; what you have here is a Yes tribute band with Howe sitting in, and also, I really don’t count Downes. I managed to sit through a wobbly show with Patrick Moraz, saw Wakeman before that, but after seeing the Going For The One tour, they jumped the shark for me, and I was indifferent to all the mutations since. It was more of a thrill to have seen Squire, backed by Spock’s Beard, do a short set of Fish Out Of Water material with an encore of Roundabout 15 years ago. This upcoming gig is like seeing “Badfinger” with just Joey Molland; no slam on him, but he joined later and was never a front person.

tbz, MrB64, ToneMonkey and 9 others like this.
  4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I wouldn't mind seeing it.:woot:

Relsom and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  5. prowla

prowla

Aug 19, 2004
    With just Steve Howe there (a fantastic musician!), they're only 1/5th of the band.
    Maybe they should start calling this Yes Revisited.

tbz, GodsLove66, secretsound5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    So, you were at the Rickenbacker 75th Anniversary weekend, too? Lots of great bands and other fun times that weekend! :bassist: :hyper:

tbz likes this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yeah, I think we discussed that before; my wife and I are friends with Marty Willson-Piper, once of Australian band The Church and noted Ric user; he’s had a solo career as well(we’ve both played with him, and she, a harpist, has played with The Church directly). There was that party at the NAMM headquarters in Carlsbad for the company before the HOB all-star concert in LA, and Marty with his all-female band, plus Jefferson Starship, played there. We were hanging in the kitchen area, talking to Prairie Prince, then drummer for JS, and both Squire and Kantner came in looking for booze; I found some Vodka or Gin(I can’t remember)for Chris. Very unreal. The main show was quite an event; the Smithereens certainly rocked it, but Squire’s set was the high point of the evening, as to my understanding he had never played that solo stuff live before.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  8. If they actually ever do a reunion tour with Jon, Pat Moraz, Wakeman, and maybe Kaye and Rabin, I'm there.

Otherwise, meh.

ELG60, tbz, Pauly 4001 and 2 others like this.
  9. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    For me, Jon is Yes. Although, Chris was one of my biggest influences. These Yes cover bands are of no interest to me. It's like all of the Jaco tribute guys. Why not just let their art live in peace and move on.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I saw Yes at The Sunshine In, Asbury Park NJ back in the early '70s. Great show, great memory.

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    requiescat in pace

Jeff Scott, ELG60, BigJohnAZ and 2 others like this.
  12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i'm down. i enjoy hearing challenging music performed live by kickazz musicians. they can call it 'cat food' for all i care.

zubrycky likes this.
  13. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I dunno. This sounds more like a cover band to me, notwithstanding Steve Howe's presence, and probably a really good cover band. That's not a criticism, but it's not Yes.

I feel the same way about Daltry and Townshend touring as The Who. It's not The Who, it's Daltry and Townshend playing Who songs.

heatheroo1, Jeff Scott, ELG60 and 7 others like this.
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Agreed, and I have my ticket from the recent PHL show to prove it. Wouldn't have gone even locally if I weren't attending with a bunch of my college besties.

When I think of the sound of Yes I first think of Jon, so this feels more like "Steve Howe: The Man and His Music." But that's just my opinion. I hope the shows are great and every attendee goes home feeling satisfied.

Winslow and Artman like this.
  15. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I'd be interested in attending this if it were at a local venue. Though not really Yes, I'm sure they'd pull it off like no other tribute band could. I'd travel a bit to see Jon and Rick, if not just to hear Rick tell some more jokes... jk.

heatheroo1 and portpc like this.
  16. Bonafide

Bonafide The Adventures Of Fusion Chicken Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    It could be an enjoyable show, musically. And Howe is an inspiration at his age. Maybe call it the 'songs of YES' or 'Remembering YES'. I have to say, the lineup (with Geddy) at the RR HOF would be worth the price of admission anytime. Rabin is an equal inspiration.

Winslow, Artman, GodsLove66 and 3 others like this.
  17. That's maybe a bit more than this Yes effort, Daltry and Townshend is at least half the band, not a fifth and includes the guy who wrote & arranged 95%, or more, of their music. Ox and Moon were integral and unique and yes, it isn't the same without them, but it's still more than one guy and a cover band, at least to me. I loved the Who from the first time I heard them as a 13 year old growing up in London. 'My Generation' blew me away when it came out and 'The Who Sell Out' was the first LP I ever bought. My family didn't even have a record player when I bought it, I had to take it to a friends house to hear it...;):D

Ah, being a kid in the 60's, when even a cheap transistor radio, that sounded like crap, was a door into a world of wonder...

18. OldSoulDownLow

OldSoulDownLow Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2020
    KY
    I had the privilege of seeing YES back in the late 80's with Anderson, Squire, Wakeman, White, and Howe. No opening act, just 3 plus hours of YES music and I still consider it one of the top two, and maybe even the absolute best, show I've ever seen. I have to agree with others here that it's more a tribute band now and I don't think I want to tarnish my memory of that 80's show with whatever the current lineup might be. I'm a big fan of Jon Anderson and he just needs to do solo tours with a band he puts together. Maybe that's what this is (when Anderson sits in) now that I think about it.

Winslow and Artman like this.
  19. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Yes? No.

Not Yes.

Winslow and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion