Yes -Roundabout - Bass Cover - Added: Aerosmith - Dream On - Bass Cover

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NealBass, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I picked up a portastudio on Monday and this is my first (lame) attempt at recording. I'm playing along to Roundabout by Yes. Please excuse the clumsy fingers, but I was concentrating more on getting all this gear to work right, than playing it correctly. I'm looking for feedback on levels mostly. I'll get the tone and playing right later. Then I guess it's a SoundCloud account, or Youtube?
    I'll be back later today to see if this worked at all.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Neal.

[EDIT]- October 27 2016.
    On my first try, I replaced the backing track and it was out of sync. I put the original backing track back in and the timing is much better.

Fixed version:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

To my ear it sounds like the bass is a bit forward in the mix. Not egregiously so but in the transitions it seems a touch loud. It's very close though and others may disagree. You certainly did the song justice. Not an easy one for a first recording adjustment test :) Good on ya!

Tbone76, JIO and NealBass like this.
  3. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks. I agree, the mix is a little too high on the bass. I'm planning on using recording as a practice tool. I've found in the past, that the act of recording and listening back improves my playing a lot. I just haven't been satisfied with the sound quality of my home recording before. I'm fairly happy with the sound quality of this unit. I may upload some stuff to You-tube later, but I doubt many people would want to listen to it. I like the engineering part of being a musician too, so learning this is a lot of fun. I lost some fidelity pumping the mp3 into the board, so I replaced the mp3 after I recorded my take (I did it in one take, without having played it for months. Also, there are no overdubs) and syncing up the replacement mp3 to my bass tracks was a bit tricky. I may be a bit ahead near the end, or the mp3 might be a bit out of sync.
    Looks like I have a lot of work to do!
    Back to the "studio", LOL. :headphone:

Funky Ghost likes this.
  4. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Inactive

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    A: There is NOTHING lame about it...
    B: Your tone is Spot ON!
    C: I like the mix. I came here to Hear You.
    D: You played Every note! (WAY more notes than I could hit on the head!!)

E: Time...It got PROGresivly better as the song went on. There were notes that were rushed...during the first half of the song. I'm Sure that anyone and everyone would be excited enough to push the beat in your situation... You Freakin' NAILED the bridge!

F: DAMN, DUDE!!! :thumbsup:

VerryBerry, Matthew_84, Ikkir and 6 others like this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    What 47th Street said, x2!

NealBass likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Outstanding! Nice clank and growl. You would literally not believe how long I've been trying to play that, basically learned to use a pick for that specific purpose. To put it in perspective, I learned it by picking the needle up and down on a first generation Yes LP 100,000 times. I never quite got that growl with my 4001, I think a lot if that tone is the horse shoe pup. I only realized recently that Squire double tracked some of the bits with guitar and bass overdubs, I always tried to approximate it with some fancy footwork. You have some serious chops, keep going! Makes me want to pick up my bass again, been spending a lot more time building than playing, and never enough time on that either.

7. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Good evening Canadaneal!

I listing thoroughly your recording an the HI-Fi version here () as my Hi-Fi sound systems is in boxes now. I also listen to the 1972 live version () and I found that your cover version sound really much like the live one more treble and less compression than the studio version. So, depending if you want to reach the recorded version sound, you'll have to get less clear growl and more compressed deep tone. Otherwise it's a real good cover:thumbsup:

NealBass and 47th Street like this.
  8. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Agree w/ @Funky Ghost about being ahead/rushing of the beat/phrase/line at times - overall it comes down to more of a need to take a deep breath and swing/sing the phrases that you obviously know so well. It's really hard following a 'known' recording (static situation) so don't feel like you will ever really get the feel following it. This is where playing it live with other musicians comes in - once immediately organic - you'll nail the part! Keep up the good work Neal! :bassist:

NealBass, 47th Street and Funky Ghost like this.
  9. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

NealBass likes this.
  10. DAT TOAN! Sounds great. This is why I love Yes, and why I love Rickenbackers. Nice job.

MrLenny1, NealBass and 47th Street like this.
  11. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. It's nice to get input from your colleagues. I've managed to fulfill a few childhood dreams with this set up - A good Rickenbacker - Moog pedals - bunches of effects - and 24 track recording studio. So it seems like a finish line, but it's really just the beginning. I consider myself happy and very lucky to be starting with pretty good sound...and pretty good friends!

Cheers,
    CN.

12. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks Jeff.
    I don't remove the bass players track. I just played over the top of the original mp3. No EQ (yet). As a matter of fact, I didn't even mix that track. What you hear is what I heard when playing it. The volume levels were off, because I had to reduce the output volumes on my pedal boards by more than half, when I got the recorder. The levels were all at 80, or 90 and now, they're all at 20, or 30. So, I adjusted them all on Wednesday and they're not quite even between the 2 pickups. I noticed the track got boomy when I played over the neck pickup. I'll fix that up tonight. I'm fairly happy for my first try after owning the recorder for only 3 days! Actually, I recorded that track just last night.

twocargar likes this.
  13. I like it! Definitely something I've never bothered trying to learn because I listen to the bass and think "holy crap I dunno if I can even play that riff!"

Someone already mentioned the bass track being too hot, and that's okay if you're showcasing your bass playing. I did enjoy the tone very much. Nailed it.

On YouTube there are a few isolated tracks of the other instruments that you might be able to mix in, or check out Jammit. You can get the individual instrument tracks and remix it without the bass so you can play along.

Nice work! I look forward to hearing more!

14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Way to go bro :bassist:

What make and model portastudio did you get?

NealBass likes this.
  15. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks!
    I got a Tascam DP24SD.

studio-01.jpg studio-02.jpg studio-03.jpg

VerryBerry and CaseyJ like this.
  16. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Starship Trooper.
    Tremolo effect on the bridge pickup, neck pickup clean. MOOG Bass pedals at the end. Fist take, no overdubs.

17. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I think you're right. I didn't want to risk getting a ticket! ;)

18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Those clips would sound more authentic if your Rics had those square 'Made In USA' stickers on the pickguard :cigar:

woodyng2, Jeff Scott and NealBass like this.
  19. NealBass

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    My pride and joy (the sticker, not the bass ;)).

01.jpg

20. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Inactive

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I'm trying (not very hard) to think of Something (other than my Gran-Babies) Mo beautiful than A Ric...

Cain't Bee Dun... :thumbsup:

NealBass likes this.