Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes, SX / Essex basses are that good. Just go buy one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 18, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    We're all familiar with the SX megathread, and despite referring people to it on a regular basis, there are still periodic waves of threads along the lines of: "I looked at the megathread, but I have to ask, are these basses really that good?" Or maybe: "Is an SX really comparable to higher-priced instruments?"

So I'm starting this thread purely to say: Yes, they are worth it. If you have any doubts or questions in your mind about buying one, just go do it. I'm personally giving you the go-ahead. I'll be the little guy on your shoulder (I'll let you pick which one) telling you to just pull the trigger and buy the bass. It's okay, you can swing it. I know it's the holidays, but you deserve a treat, too. Maybe you can conveniently leave the Rondo site open before your hunny sits at the computer. Or print out the bass you want and circle it and tape the paper to the bathroom mirror. If you're a kid and you want your parents to buy one, show them this thread. They can take my word for it, these are some of the best starter basses you can buy. I'm giving the greenlight. C'mon, they're cheap!

They're between $100 and $150. That's one of the the lowest prices you can find on an instrument, period. It doesn't go much lower than that.

I've owned two of these basses. I played my five-string jazz style bass this morning at church. I like its fingerstyle tone better than my Marcus Miller signature bass. There. I said it. It sounds better and it's bone stock, with the exception of a snappy looking pickup cover that doesn't serve any purpose except to add some chrome. 'Cause chrome is hot.

The tone is there. Is the workmanship up to snuff with an American Fender? No, but that's why these things cost $100. Are the playable? Definitely! Do the sound great! Yes!

Hopefully future posters can link to this thread and the answer to the question that seems to come up again and again.

Seriously.

Just go buy one already.

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, I need a P-Bass to do some recording and I figured that if I don't like the sound from the stock pickup I can always swap it out for something else so...I ordered one from Rondo this morning.

The bass and case shipped was a pretty sweet deal. We'll see if you are right...

Happy Holidays!

3. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    ughrghrrrrgh

I want a blue one now :(

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    How are there replacment necks?

5. im playing an SX P thru your old pre/power into a schro 1212.
    come see my band... :)

6. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Agree 10,000% I was expecting a decent bass, a little less quality than a MIM fender, what i got was a great instrument, that truely is my favorite fender-ish bass i've played, really a great buy, a great price, and it's great stock.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I must post my agreement with superduck. I have a 5 string jazz that I paid $130 for and it kicks butt. Totally gig worthy, tight B string, great action, and sound that cuts- even with the stock pickups. If you're thinking about buying one, just buy it. If you don't like it you can give it away and it'll come back to you kharmically. Did that with my fist SX and wound up getting an endorsement deal with Musicman. :)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Shoot, anyone want a free SX bass?

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Right here. PM me if you're serious. :D

AuG

10. My SX 62 Jazz is wonderful!

I have tricked it out a bit, but the mods were mostly cosmetic. The one thing I did do that improved its tone (just a bit) was to replace the stock bridge with a Gotoh 201.

Played it at band practice last night. It really cuts through.

I must say that it's the best $119 I've ever paid for a bass.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    hmmmm, well after reading this, maybe i'll pull the trigger on this bad boy after christmas. Throw a new bridge on there and a bridge cover just cause none of my other basses have one. Hmmmmm. 'Duck, you've done the world a great service. I bow to you sir.

I've been wary of having my MIA at school, real thin finish.

12. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    HOW ARE THERE REPLACEMENT NECKS

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    GET A WARMOTH.

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    "There" = "Their" in the context used above. Sorry, the English teacher in me is coming out. I think most of us don't have an answer to your question. I agree with F55 though and would probably go the warmoth way.

15. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    A liitle off topic, but........

The infamous Joe Nerve! Good to have you back. The place hasn't been the same without you. I trust that your excellent SX induced kharma led to a great tour!

16. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That's great. So, in your opinion is the SX a good buy? I mean, for the money I can't imagine it would completely suck.

Nice to hear from you.

By the way, if any of you TB'ers ever have a chance to do business with this cat, he's a stand up guy. :D

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think an essex + a good fretjob = good bass. I dont think the stock fretjob is great.

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just to stay off topic for one more post: I've really come to believe with all my heart and soul that you get back exactly what you put into the world (and then some). I see it all around me all the time. As lame as it sounds - if I put good out, I get good back - put out negativity, get back the same. Just a quickie for the opposite side of things - I trash Fender here at Talkbass like crazy. The company, I feel did me wrong, and I've yet to let up on letting the bass world know about it. What do I get? Just had an opportunity to possibly tour with someone who's doing very well for themselves. The guy wants someone who plays a Fender though, and I think that's knocked me out of the game. :) Coincidence? :) Maybe. I like to think not - at least I keep myself entertained.

Had a great time in Europe. Thanks for missing me, some people I believe were happy I was gone. I'm back in full swing once more though. Gotta pay my yearly dues and get my supporting membership back.

If you or anyone else is interested, Bumblefoot tour details are here: http://bumbleforum.lesvilles.org/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=96f733bc30012570a807c77aa74bf1fa under the "sticky" that says Normal tour thread. The bass trashing posts were all about the sound guy, not me. :) We had t work some things out.

Apologies for the derailment.

Edit: To get back ON TOPIC: I BOUGHT THE 5 STRING SX AS A LAST MINUTE BACKUP BASS FOR THE ABOVE TOUR.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Heh. You wish. :D

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Are the rest of you taking notes here?