1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YES!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoeyBass, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Today in my music history class we covered music of the 70's and i heard what was probably some of the best sounding bass i have ever heard. Chris Squire of the band YES! is amaizing and We pretty much listened to all of fragile. i was blown away by his playing and his sound but i was curious to know if anyone here would know what his rig comprised of???? please post back soon thanks. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to "Close To the Edge".

3. Not sure about the rig, but he played a Rickenbacker 4001 on Fragile.

4. from www.chrissquire.com

~So by the time anyone ever heard my Rickenbacker bass on the Yes record it had actually been shaved down to about two-thirds of the weight of the regular factory model; she sounded completely different." ~

In 1991, Rickenbacker began producing a limited-edition reproduction of Chris' famous bass. Dubbed the 4001CS, the run of 1000 basses feature a horseshoe bridge pickup, no body binding, mono output, 8 dot inlays, no neck binding, toaster neck pickup, contrasting African Vermilion headstock wings, clear plastic back painted pickguard with Chris' signature, more rounded shaped neck profile. The basses are available only in Cream Colorglo finish. The production run ended March 15, 2000.

Chris' current stage setup includes a Marshall 100 watt Super Bass Amp and Marshall 4 X12 cabinet, two SVT-2 pro heads and two 8x10 SVT-810e cabinets, which sit behind him on stage

The bass pedals are amplified by an SWR SM-500 head driving an Energy 2x15 cabinet, which is located under the drum riser.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I want to take your music class. ;)

6. Squire is great, but Yes is all about two dudes: Jon Anderson and Billy Willy Bruford.,

7. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Back in the Fragile, Close to the Edge days I believe Squire was using his stereo output on the Ric with one side going to a Marshall guitar amp and the other to an Ampeg. I think he always used a pick too?

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Also check out Relayer. Most don't know that this amazing album was recorded in Chris Squire's basement. :D

9. No disrespect to Squire, but his current tone ain't nothing next to CTTE, Fragile etc.

:bag:

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    To me, his ultimate tone is on Fragile. CTTE is a little thin in comparison. Haven't heard TFTO or Relayer in forever(got to get all this stuff on disc), but did stumble on my Going For The One tape recently and really dug what he was doing then with the wah on Wonderous Stories. Though not many people like it, I think Drama is a great album, check out the opening riffs to Machine Messiah and the middle bass breaks.

11. what in the world are you talking about???? Squire is the ONLY one that has been there from the beginning...every record. Bruford's great, but Alan White is a pretty killer drummer also. I saw the Relayer tour and they did just fine without Bruford (and what about Rick Wakeman, anyways?)

12. thanks guys appreciate the help and i seriously think squire makes the band HANDS DOWN his tone is effing amaizing plus hes kinda good too :)

thanks again

13. I wasn't dissing Squire or anyone else in the band. I just stated that I thought the band was in it's best form with the Close to the Edge Line up.
    I'm a huge Bruford fan , IMO he could play the socks off Alan White.

14. I'm a huge Bruford fan too, but they did a couple of great records without him (Relayer, Going for the One).\

I agree that the best lineup was the 'classic' lineup on Fragile and Close to the Edge. Those are the only 2 with that lineup yes?

15. Relayer and One are good , but I prefer CTTE.

Yeah , Fragile and CTTE were the only two with that lineup .....I think.

16. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Best Squire tones, in my opinion:

"Siberian Khatru"
    "Ritual - Nous Sommes Du Soleil"
    "Roundabout"
    "Close to the Edge"
    "Sound Chaser"
    "Yours Is No Disgrace"
    "Starship Trooper"
    "Long Distance Runaround"
    "America"

Personally, "Siberian Khatru" and "Ritual" are two of my favorite bass sounds of all time (and the first also has one of the best guitar/bass/keyboards dynamics of any song ever) . . . they really show Squire at his tonal best, I think. Technically, "The Yes Album" was recorded with a regular 4001 (as in, with binding, triangular inlays, and a high-gain pickup in the bridge rather than the horseshoe), whereas "Fragile", "Close to the Edge", "Tales From Topographic Oceans", "Relayer", and "Going For the One" were all done with that cream, sanded Rickenbacker RM1999 that he is so famous for.

17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Chris Squire is probably one of the best melodic bassists to have ever lived. Starship Trooper has always been my personal favorite to play, but I still can't really figure out the solo. I could go on and on about his playing, but I'll just get to the point:

For his tone, Rickenbacker+SVT+Dunlop picks+experimenting with vintage fuzz/distortion pedals would probably be your best bet.

By the way, "The Fish" has no keys or guitar. It's all bass (11 tracks), drums, and vocals, in case your teacher didn't tell you/didn't know.

A similar bassist/band you might enjoy is Mike Rutherford's playing on Genesis' earlier albums. Nursery Cryme, Selling England By The Pound, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and Foxtrot are all great albums.

18. Am I just dreaming or was Squire at one time sponsored by Carvin???? or am I just dreaming. I'm thinking around late 90's early 00's? What ever happened with that?

19. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    I seem to remember in interviews at the time, that he said he was playing through Sunn amps

20. Well I can say one thing that I've owned a carvin bass and as much as I think carvin makes "some" good stuff I never sounded like Chirs Squire thats for dang sure. It could also be that I stink at bass when comapred to him but you know whatever...haha...