YESSSSSSSSS....Nailed it!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    To all and those who have read my threads here on my journey to get in a established band ....A BIG THANK YOU!!! You gave me the confidence to do it and it went realy well. It went so well they offered me the job on the spot and really made it tough due to the fact i have another try out on Sat (im canceling it). I got to the practice/tryout and met the guys all cool cats older dudes like me :p who love good rock and blues. 2 guitars with vocals me and a great drummer.We ran thru the songs i needed to know before the gig and other than a few changes in keys they went well. I saw smiles and was getting the look that i was doing it! :hyper: Really...really had a blast we did like 20 songs some i didnt know at all and some well enough to fake and the guitarist helped me get the keys and the basic notes and i jumped in added fills and rocked out.These dudes have a big gig the end of the month so we are doubling practices to 2 a week and i have a ton of home work about 30 songs :help: 10-15 i know well or pretty good. I was surprised to get the offer so soon and they told me "dude where have you been get out of the basement "you are a player. Man i have a swelled head.Things i learned.... i need to know the fretboard faster...must get it down and learn key changes a bit faster...besides that all the blues scales and scale patterns really do help..the basic box patterns did it but using the scales on their chords and adding fills was sweet! Thank you fellow Tbers and Talkbass for helping a noob on the giging scene get my foot in the door...You dont know what this means to me. Thanks :) :bassist: :hyper: :D
  2. Congrats on the new gig.
  3. Congrats....

You said you have another try out (I assume you mean for another band) on Saturday?

Even though the first band that hired you seems great, it's a good idea to keep your options open, so I would try to keep in touch with the other guys too, for a while. You never know how things turn out--I've played in bands that went from "played a great paying gig" to "dissolved" in less than a week....So try not to burn any bridges with the other opportunity!!
  4. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks guys...Nash you bring up a good point. I really didnt think i would be offered the gig last nite.Yea im excited and new to getting a gig (since High school) but these guys have been together 3 years and played out until they had bass players not showing up or joining other bands.We have a rash of that in my parts most bassists are in other bands only wanting to gig for money and run band to band....i guess its good to be a bassist ;) high need and not enough of us to go around.The other band is also established (Sat tryout) they have alot of experience like the guys im with and more equipment...the problem is they practice on weekends and have an anal guitarist theory trained who will teach but is picky about all the parts played. They gave me no songs to learn or know before the tryout only groups they play Sabbith etc more of hard rock band...i dig blues and old rock and dont feel the heavy stuff. So....i jumped to this gig since i like the guys and the music. I will call and cancel the Sat tryout and try not to burn any bridges.Thanks for the advice.
  5. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Way to go brother!!

The end of your last post told you what to do regarding the audition Saturday. Re-read it............

Stay with the guys who are doing what you like.

Remember us "little people" on your rise to the top........... ;)

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - let's see if he just leaves us in the dust now that he's out there soaring with the eagles...

7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    NaWWWWWWWW dudes aint like that just a small giging blues/rock band a dime a dozen type. Its just cool to be wanted as a player i have been working on my playing for a while and its paid off. I still have a long way to go and will need Tbers and talkbass to help me thru :D
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Congrats man, it can be quite a process.
  9. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Congrats on the new gig...

this thread puts a big :) on my face.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Told you that you had it nailed with your attitude! A lot of times, a good attitude and a willingness to learn will get you through a lot better than chops.
  11. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Well, well, well, looky here -- bassbully43 all growed up and gonna go out and play in a band! LOL!

It's really great to have seen your initial nervous posts about the audition, then the prep, and now read that you got the gig. It's just...the best!

Anyway, I think you succeeded because of your meticulous preparation and hard work. Believe me, now that you are IN the band, the REAL hard work will start, like working on 30 songs!!!! rofl!

Heartfelt congratulations, man. Your story brightened my day.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  13. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Again...a big thanks to you all. I have been around a while and you guys and this site are the coolest i have ever seen. I have my work cut out for me 3 weeks till a 100-200 person party. We will play 3 -1 hour sets and around 30 songs...we jam out on some so it has fiils also. The band will practice twice a week leading up to the show and one of the guitarist said he would meet with me in between to go over any problem areas. I use tab just to get a start and then use my ear and work on the chord changes...funny thing is i played a couple of songs with them i never played a CD etc to and got it right due to the prep.If i get the chord patterns...i then need to work on changes and stops. still playing every day and working hard :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: