Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet Again Im Struck By The RickenBug!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jul 25, 2004.

1. For the past little while i have been working on the idea of getting a new bass while my fretless jetglo is still being built.
    I almost had my choice figured out when i stumbled across an almost 20 year old Ric (dated '86)in almost mint condition and in a rare colour.
    It beckoned to me...so i was talking to Mike from the ricpage about it for about a week..when i finally decided to pull the trigger.
    I would say this bass is in 9.5/10 condition with only slight surface scuff marks around the bridge pickup.( i included pics) Overall an excellent condition rare 20 year old Ric.
    The bass wont be in my possession for about a little over a week probally as i finalize payment...so i cannot give a full summary just yet, but Mike gladly took many pics for me and ill be happy to share with you in the meantime.

Ladies and gents...the 3rd Ric in my arsenal...the '86 Silver 4003. :hyper:

2. And the back...and a pic of the blemishes which i circled. :bassist:

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is that silver? WOW, that looks freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Wow, never seen a Rick like that before. Looks like it belongs on the Death Star or something. Congrats!

5. Indeed it is Silver. Quite a rare colour for Rics as my understanding goes. :D

6. Ive never seen one like it either! Love it, man!!! :hyper:

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You have no idea how jealous I am right now.. :mad:

I want one :p.. My Ricky needs a friend! :bawl:

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    WOW!!!!!!
    Me likes........ :bassist:

9. Hold on to your jealousy..cause i still have a fretless 4003 on the way too! (I dunno when however :()

10. Hmmm , I believe a robbery is in session, hmm??

11. Ive seen some Live footage where the bassist of the Guess Who played a silver RIC, pretty cool .

12. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    It does, doesn't it. *Cue evil music*

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thats the nicest Ric iv'e ever seen

14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I woulda bought a silver one if they'da had one....... :bawl:

15. Fireglo is nothing to be ashamed about! Fireglo kicks butt...everyone and their damn grandma has a black Ric. (Not saying that black is bad..its just nice seeing one of different colours from time to time)

16. What type of fretboard?!? How bout body woods etc.?!?
    Thanks
    Troy

17. Standard Ric stuff as im aware...maple body and neck..rosewood fretboard.

18. All seems well..even though UPS took longer than should have..cept a few things that werent mentioned in sale..not a huge deal. Previous owner moved the strap buttons about 1/4 of an inch. And the bridge pickup cuts in and out. But thats a minor fix im sure.

One thing i noticed right away...the neck is thinner than that of my other Ric...something i wasnt expecting..but still cool. And in different light the colour almost looks green..but its kinda cool.
    All and all its got a few scuffs..nothing major..hardly noticable unless your right up to this beast..excellnt shape IMO for a 20 year old bass.

Anyway..here are a few pics :)

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats man, that's a rare and unique one you've scored there. :cool:

I'm getting dangerously close to getting a Mapleglo 4003. After 12 years of being the lone Rick around here, my current 4003 needs a fellow Rickenbrother. ;)