1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another amp/cab/watts thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crz53, Jul 31, 2012.

1. crz53

crz53

Apr 12, 2012
    St.Louis, MO
    I'm sorry if this is a repetative topic for TB regulars. I've spent the past hour and a half reading through threads on here dealing with differing opinions about matching the powr of a head versus the handling ability of a cab or cabs, and I think I have my head wrapped around the topic. Nevertheless, I want to make sure that I've got everything in order before I go spend what little money I have tomorrow. I have a Crate BXH 220 head that puts out 150W at 8ohms and 220W at 4ohms. I run it through a 1x15 cab that is 8ohms and rated at 200W. I was always under the impression that you wanted to have cabs that could handle more power than your amp could push, so that you didn't have to worry about blowing your speakers (within reason, of course). I was in Guitar Center looking at an Acoustic 4x10 cab that is 8ohms and rated to 400W (yes, I know that cab mixing is a TB taboo). Running this in parallel with my 1x15 would read at 4ohms, and the 220W would be split, sending 110W to each cab. I was concerned that the 110W wouldn't be enough juice to push the 400W 4x10, so I asked the GC employee about it. He says that you never want to under power your speakers, because it could ruin them. That sounded wrong to me, but I was in a hurry, so I figured I would come here and do some homework first. It appears that the danger from underpowering your cab is largely a myth, and that common sense would tell you that it's a good idea to have cabs that can handle more than your amp. So I will put the questions to the most knowledgable folks here:

In the above setup (220W to a 1x15 and 4x10), is that enough power to drive those cabs? I play in a 4 peice jam rock outfit that plays mostly small - medium sized bars and clubs. Thanks for your help. It's hard to imagine how noobs figured all of this stuff out before things like TB were around.
    - Mike Lorenz

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The GC guy was repeating an oft-repeated myth. Not true at all. I have absolutely blasted a 25w Ampeg B-15N head into an 810e as well as several other high power handling big cabs and nothing at all happened to the 810e. And 25w got pretty darn loud...not like an SVT but enough to get asked to turn down.

3. Get another identical 15. It will sound miles better than the mixed rig.

The GC employee was wrong.

4. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    +1 Especially the part about the cab being identical, if possible. Even if the cabs are both 1x15's, you can get some odd behaviour if they're tuned/designed differently enough.

5. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    +1 to what JimmyM said.

BTW, that's a great head. Made in the USA at the Ampeg factory.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to de-bunking the myth, and +1 for matched cabs. The 410/15 pairing, popular as it may be, is one of the very worst.