Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another Ampeg SVT-II question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Feb 10, 2006.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    When I crank up the volume on my SVT-II and it gets all distorted and awesome sounding, one of the tubes flickers purple sometimes. They look normal when powered up but it only looks like that when I have it turned way up and I'm playing notes. Is this just a bad practice anyway to crank up an amp that high? Should I be worried about the tube that has purple stuff going on inside it?

2. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I dunno about the fickering colors but you should be fine cranking the knobs. I usually max out the MASTER but occasionly the GAIN instead if I want alot of dirty overdrive.

3. You probably just need a bias adjustment but the flickering tube may well be gassing or shorting and dying. Get that checked out because if the tube shorts completely, it can do some SERIOUS damage to your amp.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    How much do you think that would cost just to have it looked at, assuming nothing's wrong? What about bias adjustment or other stuff? Im pretty short on cash right now, as I just plunked down everything for the 810E and the SVT-II

5. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I know good shops that'll charge anywhere from $35-60 for diagnostics.

6. Purple is fine. It just means there's some oxigen in the tube. It's no big deal.

7. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    This is an SVT-II, no wussy "gain" dial !

Single volume all the way ;)

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I share the sentiment, although a gain dial would be useful as I play an active bass. No p-bass yet...

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Anyone know where I can get the original knobs? Im pretty sure my amp is a 1989 and it looks like the guy put a few other knobs on there that he painted with some white out. Kind of a sloppy job

10. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Have you looked at Fliptops?