yet another bass distortion question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Jul 15, 2001.

1. I am really getting into that nice overdriven bass sound. I have a Boss Bass Overdrive and though i love the sound of the pedal it will not cut it for that light overdriven tube sound. Its a bit to fuzzy for my needs. I am screwing around with my buddies Ibanez Tube Screamer and it sounds surprisingly nice on bass. I wanted to know if this a quality pedal and if anyone has had any problems with it. Also, does anyone know of any other pedals like the Tube Screamer with maybe a little more crunch and can handle some of the lows a bit better.
  2. Get yo hands of that " Gain " button, fool !

read the reviews.. all of them say that you shouldn't turn the gain up too far coz it will sound like poo...
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I think if you like the Tube Screamer for bass you should try out the Ibanez PD7 bass OD. Haven't tried it yet but heard only good things about it so far.
  4. You might want to try out a Reverend Drivetrain if you can find one. BP has a review here in which they mention that it has better bass response than a Tubescreamer. They also used to have sound samples up.. sounded nice if I remember right.

The EBS Multidrive also seems like it will do what you want, but I can't find much info about it other than what is on <a href="">EBS's page</a>.
  5. i have the gain very far down and still comes off very fuzzy. the dry/od setting is at around 12 and the gain is about 7 or 8 which is barely touching it at all. I have messed around with it greatly but still cant get much of a light ovedrive only a heavy distortion. That doesnt mean that i dont love that heavy sound though... i just also need something lighter. I would rather have two pedals anyway so i dont need to fidle with the knobs on stage.
    I didnt like the Ibanez Phat Head or whatever its called. Sounded to plastic if you know what i mean.
  6. Damn... I really wish those sound samples for the Drivetrain were still up.. or that I could find some for the EBS Multidrive.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll be buying an overdrive/distortion/fuzz type pedal in the near future, and I sort of have it narrowed down to 3: EBS Multidrive, Reverend Drivetrain, and the Zvex Woolly Mammoth. The Mammoth is the only one that I've gotten my hands on, and I loved it, but I'd really like to know more about the other two. EBS has a great rep and I've really liked other EBS pedals I've played, and I vaguely remember that the Reverend pedal sounded really good.

The Woolly Mammoth wouldn't really fit your needs.. there isn't a non-extreme setting on it.
  7. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Try a mesa boogie V-twin pedal or the bottle rocket... you can get any sound out of it you want... since it has tubes.. it won't mess with your bass tone.