1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another bass project.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spent, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've decided to assemble another bass and I'm going with warmouth and need advice. First a little background, sorry for the long post.

I currently play a Musicman Bongo HS through a sansamp rbi, crown xls1000 and hartke 410xl. I am very happy with my amplification. I hate to say this, but after about two years, I'm just not liking the Bongo. I can't describe it as well as I'd like, but it sounds lifeless and I'm getting no tone or sustain above the 12th fret. I should also add that I'm using Chromes, have for years on my MIA Jazz Deluxe Fretless. I switched to Chromes on the Bongo because it was way too bright. My home practice amp is a Markbass 210 combo and I'm equally unhappy about the Bongo on that as well. My Spector Legend sounds better. I recently picked up an sx ursa 2 and I absolutely love it, especially the thicker neck. I've never played a maple fretboard before, and I'm really impressed.

So here's the plan. I'm going with a p-bass, swamp ash with a fretless maple neck. Now my dilemma. I'm leaning toward a seymour duncan bassline quarter pounder with an aquilar opb-3 preamp. I had that setup in an old yamaha and really liked it. I realize that I cannot try differnt pickups since the closest music store is a guitar center over a hour away and they likely won't have pickup configurations I'm looking for anyway. I need advice and since I can't exactly describe what I'm looking for (and I've been playing bass for over 20 years), I don't really know how to ask for it. I want good bottom end, clarity, I don't like growl and I don't want too much brightness. I like a hifi sound and a piano like percussiveness, if there is such a thing. Before anyone suggests it, I don't like gigging with my Jazz, the SX isn't exactly what I'm looking for and the Spector is great, but not what I'm looking for. I'm impressed and apprciative if you've this far. Thanks! Any suggestions/advice?