1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yet another BBE post

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kurosawa, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Anyone know:

- What differences there were between the 4 generations?

- What generation is the DI100?

- Is there anything particularly good about the 411?

I'm asking because I'm seeing a big price difference between models/generations. Any/all info on the performance and usage of these units greatly appreciated!

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have 2,an 862 which is in my bass amp's fx loop,and a 362NR which is in my recording setup.The higher the model number(422,462,482 etc.)the more recent it is.when used judiciously they can make the source have more clarity and presence,but overdoing it can get messy.

3. I don't really like or need the treble and bass boost available on the unit. I would probably run both knobs turned down so I'd be getting only the delay.

Big question--I read somewhere that the unit can breathe like a compressor. I hate that. What conditions induce the unit to breathe?

Thanks,

Kurt

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The DI 100 is a separate item from their regular line of Sonic Maximizers ... it's a DI with some tone-shaping circuitry. It does have the maximizer circuits in it too. I have one, but I never use it. It has some kind of noise gate that eliminates the noise when you stop playing (it does this well), but adds a lot of noise while you're playing. I think BBE stopped making it, probably for that reason. I have to say that it does beef up the sound kinda like the SansAmp BDDI, and it's a lot cheaper, but do yourself a favor and don't buy one. If you're ever in town, stop by and I'll give you mine, no charge. Like new.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I even got an old 401 and still won't play without it...

6. Thanks, all! Yup, I hope never to have anything in my rig that requires the use of a noise gate, built in or not.

I was thinking I'd have to put an unbalanced unit into my effects loop and hope the full-wet setting shut down all dry signal, but just realized I can indeed use a balanced 800-series unit 'cause they're stereo--I could run the direct/line out into one side to the board, and the preamp balanced out into the other side to my power amp.

My biggest remaining question is whether the unit, with its two EQ knobs set flat, performs as advertised and tightens up attack by making the signal more coherent, or whether its rather limited division of the signal into three bands introduces audible phasing errors--a metallic or artificial flavoring.

7. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Munji, I sent mine back to the factory and they said it was a 'design' problem and sent me a new 362. Thanks
    BBE.

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    There's some other mojo going on besides the phase correction they talk about in the BBE.BTW,the controls aren't tone knobs in the classic sense and flat is not full counterclockwise.Flat is around 11 O'clock and that's why they give you the process switch to instantly compare the non BBE sound back and forth.

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

Mine is a 262, got it on closeout for $80. :cool: It's a stereo unit with only two knobs on each channel -- the maximizer (phase correction) and a bass boost. I leave the bass boost off (full counterclockwise).

The "breathing" that I notice only happens when I'm sending a low signal through it. I have it in the signal chain right after my bass, before a SansAmp Acoustic DI. The BBE seems to have a signal floor below which it quits working. This is most often on a long decayed note, like the end of a song; at a certain point it'll give out a soft "thb" sound; the note will continue to ring, but sans effect.

I generally solve the problem by turning the instrument up and the amp down to make sure the BBE stays loaded. I usually wind up choking off a long last note before the decay reaches the BBE's threshold.

Hope that's what you meant...

And come to think of it, I have noticed under certain conditions (blue moon? karma shift? alignment of planets?) a slight "pop" at the attack of some notes (I play 98% fingerstyle). Perhaps that's the front end of the decay phenomenon, I dunno. It would probably annoy me in the studio, but my bandleader won't let me use any of my rig when we record. It hasn't really risen to the level of a problem live. The clarity I get fron the thing outweighs these relatively minor quirks.

[Edited by Eli on 02-09-2001 at 09:18 PM]

10. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Just like any other audio device,it's possible to overload the inputs which probably explains the popping.This is why the more costly BBE's have LED's for input level.

11. Yeah, I think there's a headroom limitation on the lower-priced models, although when I asked BBE to recommend a model for bass, they said the 482. I'm starting to think maybe I need to spring for the 882, but I wish I could try 'em both out in person--playing style is probably as huge a variable as equipment.

12. got a 482.....i love it, ithink the higher model 882 or something also has the xlr type in/ outs rather than rca, other than that im not sure of any difference. id say 482, im pretty nutty about noise and sound. this is one effect thats staying in my rack w/ my boogie 400+ head! wild! gives great presence........rock on

13. ludlamtheory

ludlamtheory

Apr 28, 2002
    Now, i know theres a billion posts about these dealies, but noone seemed to address this... it seems that i've heard from a few than a bbe sonic maximizer will actually allow you to be louder... maybe it just allows you to crank it more without distorting, but i wanted to get some interesting views on all of this... thanks...

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    BBE's web site recommends the 482 for most applications, specifically guitar racks.

I'm running a Demeter HBP-1 preamp balanced out into my power amp. Demeter has what they call an "active" effects loop.

Should I hook up the BBE to the effects loop, and should I get the 482, or the 882 (which has balanced jacks?

Bob

15. This could of been asked in the same thread, so I've merged then together.