1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another Berg thread! (HT115, HT112ER, etc)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JEDBass, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    Hey folks,

Let me start this off by saying I absolutely love my pair of HT115 cabs. They are just amazing sounding cabs and plenty of volume. However, with the need to cart around a whole bunch more equipment (I'm also assisting on some keys, foot pedals etc), the need to go with something a little lighter/smaller is getting magnified.

I've searched a ton of these threads doing comparisons between the different Berg cabs out there, and think that possibly the HT/EX112ER stack will keep me close to the tone of my HT115's with an even nicer high end. Granted they're not neo cabs, but 40/43 lbs and a couple inches smaller in each dimension versus almost 60 lbs is pretty significant.

My main concern is how much potential volume I'll lose (max SPL basically). I've always been of the opinion that it's always better to have too much and not need to push it than have too little and strain your equipment. And in the event someone mentions an AE410, I had one and liked it for what it was, but it's inherent tone just wasn't for me. Maybe the AE212 would fit the bill? But I do like the idea of only bringing a single 112 for practice.

FWIW, I'm running either an Mesa M6 or a Walkabout (depending on the flavor I want).

Thanks!

2. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    The HT/EX 112ERs are quite remarkable cabs. I have never A/Bd the HT115 vs the ERs, but I would say that unless you are pushing the 15's to their limits, the ERs should do fine. The ER stack will hold their own within reason vs a good 4x10. Nice cabs, very capable, and quite good low end. I tend to prefer the AE410 if allowed to bloom at bit..........but to each their own..........
    Maybe some of the Big League Berg Hoarders will chime in soon...hopefully....... :D
    I meant that passionately of course.....:bag: its a compliment even

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What!
    We resemble that remark!!!!

4. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    The HT12ER is smoother in the mid vs. the HT115 (a.k.a. more polite). Maybe a bit more connected between the woofer and the horn as well.

For power handling, I only notice the HT112ER trailing behind when pushing pass "half" (guesstimation, don't ask how, lol).

I have never push my HT115 pass 3/4. (I tested how far it would go until farting then back off a bunch) When I need more volume, I just add another HT115.

OP, how hard are you pushing those HT115's now?
    I guess 3x HT112ER will be a bit more than 2x HT115.

5. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    Thanks guys for your comments so far!

babebambi, can I ask what amp you're using to power your cabs?

I know that on my M6, my gigging volume through a pair of HT115's pretty much never goes above 9 o'clock, with the gain somewhere around noon and the tone controls fairly close to flat. Of course, the M6 is known for going from off to ear bleeding volumes with barely a turn (unless you keep the gain very low, but what's the fun in that?).

As for 3x HT112ER's, I can't even imagine, especially with that top cab being chest level! Maybe for those outdoor, non-PA support shows that happen from time to time I could see that totally rocking!

if I end up going this route, you'll be seeing of of my HT115's going up for sale or trade for an HT112ER. I already know one of my HT115's is probably spoken for (as much as I'd hate to split them up).

Just gotta think about it a bit more. Any other opinions are always welcome!

6. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Right now my Berg's are paired with my M9.
    Gain and master both around 11:00 - 13:00
    Voice 2/3/4, 4 being the most frequent, EQ close to "flat"
    I usually use a low-mid heavy tone, so I cut the bass and treb knob some.

Tried those Berg's with the B1500 and DB750 before as well.
    But I like them with the M9 better.

3x HT is a lot of fun, I am telling ya :)

7. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    See if it would run three of the 112's....that would KILL with that amp.

And, just out of curiosity...have you tried the Mesa 1000 cab with the 4x10 +1x15 and a tweeter with your M9?....I have....INSANE!!!!!!! In a great, great way. The best cabinets I have ever heard. Also, the ugliest, heaviest, nastiest thing ever built. But MAN does it sound good.

And I'm a Berg HT112IP/ER stack owner.

Cheers,
    Cameron

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I've never own any Mesa cab.
    I gigged with Meas as backline thou,
    not sure if it's the 1200 or 1000
    (they look the same to me)
    I like it ok, but I think I prefer the 2x 212
    both were powered by a 400+

For my own rig
    I have ran 2x HT210 with HT115 for a while
    (and also ran one HT210 with 2x HT115)
    But I switched to all HT115's now
    I have had no problem running the M9 at 2 ohm

OP
    If you like the HT115 but need to go lighter and smaller then the HT112ER is a great choice. I couldn't think of another cab that give you the tone and volume in a smaller package.

9. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    Thanks again! I know I'll miss the HT115's (as with almost any gear I sell!), but since I rarely pushed them to their limit, I'm sure the ER stack will serve me well. And while I don't have an M9, the M6 I do have should be pretty damn close!

10. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    take a look at this
    ThunderChild from Duke

It looks promising and is also lighter.
    4 ohm cab, but the M6/9 can go down to 2 ohm so a stack of two is still feasible.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021