Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another bergie in da house

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've had this for over a week now but last weekend's gig was cancelled due to snow. :mad: Finally got to plug it in last night, at drummer Conte's 50th birthday party (yeah, he worked a couple of short sets on his own b-day).

After the gig/celebration was over we all tied one on at Conte's house and I'm still a little fuzzy-brained now, but here are first impressions and a couple of pics.

First: according to Jim B., the NV-610 is a very different animal from his hi-fi HT series cabs. It's a tweeterless sealed cab, designed to be like the old SVT 8x10 but smaller, lighter, louder, and with better frequency response. When I told Corey (aka GIBSONGEEK) at Rock City Guitars that I played fivers, he immediately reminded me that this cab isn't necessarily the best choice. I told him I wasn't expecting my pants to flap from the lowest notes (as they do with my HT series cabs), I wanted a robust old-school cab in my collection.

Long story short: this cab delivers the old-school mojo! Nope, my pants did not flap from below-E fundamentals, nor did I get Marcus Miller *ping* when popping the G. What I did get was tight punchy tone with balls. Yeah I have a rack rig and not a pre-Magnavox all-tube hernia machine, but I goosed the gain on my Alembic pre and got some sweet growl. The room we played was rather boomy and I probably would've had a tougher time with my HT212. However my tone cut through fabulously, and I got compliments from my musician friends who said it was tightly focused and well-defined even in the back. Note that I get no PA support.

My bad back and I have been arguing over whether or not to get a vintage SVT head. I haven't won the argument yet, but I am jonesing MUCH harder for one. Next time I fire up my new baby I'll use my SABDDI and hear what happens.

Gonna shut up and post pics now.

2. Fuzzbass

Here we go.... RED TOLEX. It's so bright, my bandmates told me to turn it down before I even plugged it in! :cool: :D :cool:

[​IMG]

3. Fuzzbass

Here's the back... 1/4" inputs. Corey sez I have the first production model, but side casters were an experiment and the rest will just have the inset tilt-back wheels (which ride very well).

[​IMG]

4. Fuzzbass

Yeah, I'm addicted. Next I'm going to buy a single twelve, and then the HT322.

J/K! I don't have room for all the Berg cabs I currently have... at least one will have to go (I'm trying to put that decision off as long as I can).

----------------------------
    Oh: forgot to add that the bright red is an option only. Black tolex will be the standard... so don't be afraid to check out the cab. :p

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey FUZZ,
    Glad you like it!
    GEEK

6. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    certainly a very sharp looking cab! wow! i like the red, i crave the "pants flapping" though

7. Fuzzbass

Just so there's no confusion: this cab will make your pants flap every bit as much as the SVT 8x10... or even more. I merely want to warn five stringers who are picky about their low-B fundamentals that this isn't the best choice, nor is it *supposed* to be.

I was delighted playing fiver through mine, even below E. I'll use my HT series cabs when I need better definition of those lowest of low notes. But seeing as how my #1 band is blues/R&B and my #2 band is mostly C&W, reproduction of that below-E stuff isn't critical.

Reminder: the venerable SVT didn't do well on the lowest fundamentals of a four-string! The Berg NV610 seems to have it beat in that department. Regardless, there's a lot more to a note than its fundamental, and there's also that psychoacoustic voodoo where your brain replaces missing fundamentals if the harmonics are present. SVT style cabs are harmonically rich... that's your punch and growl right there.

If you're looking for an SVT-like bass cab, check this baby out... not just because it's smaller and lighter, not just because it handles more power. But those features certainly don't hurt! :)

8. Fuzzbass

Hey GEEK, thanks for the prompt delivery and excellent packing job... oh yeah, nice price too!

9. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    im very picky about my B string lol. just out of curiosity how much was that cab? (as if its any of my business)

10. Respectfully, have you ever played an OLD SVT cabinet? Most of the people I have heard this from are guitarists who bought that line from Aspen Pittman's book. A/B 'ed against my Bag End 2X12 sub running with the ELF processor, my old cabs have the SAME amount of fundamental with a 4-string. I even checked them with a tone generator! The old cab has a steep (I'd estimate at least 9 dB) rolloff at 33 Hz. It does a low E beautifully.

11. Fuzzbass

Sure, many years ago I used both the fridge and the coffin with my four-strings (not at the same time). I'll definitely defer to your knowledge and experience that either one or both were solid at low E. I thought the coffin sounded better, but I was happy with each of 'em then and that didn't change even after I was apparently misinformed about frequency specs.

12. Fuzzbass

List price is $1200. Street price is less. :p Contact GIBSONGEEK at rockcityguitar.com, or PM him here @talkbass!

13. You're the first person I've ever heard who makes the distinction between the "fridge" and the "coffin." I've never tested the "fridge." All three of my 8x10 cabs are the older "coffin" style. From what I've heard with other people's "fridges", they don't have the same low frequency response.

I am currently planning to build an 8x12 based on the coffin. I'm going to use custom made bass 12's from Weber. I hope to get a solid 31Hz response with the addition of the midrange bark of 12's.

14. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    8X12!!!:eek: thatll be one MONSTER cabinet!

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Wow! That looks really, really... ...red. :D

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Nice cab! Jim's the best!!!!!!!!:cool:

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap,

that looks gorgeous! :cool: interesting, but i dont see the Bergantino logo anywhere. prototype?

Fuzz, the foundation of your house must be sliding further into the mud with all that cab-age (cabbage?). :D

tho the 6x10 is SUPa cool, Jim, where the hell is that ultralite cab!? :bawl:

18. Dang....Why did you have to go post a review and pictures of that for? Now I really want one. I had just about gotten over the last bout of GAS for one of those too.:D
    It's certainly loud in more ways than one:p....
    A quick question (Fuzz or GEEK) how wide is it? I've noticed that a lot of modern cabs are narrower than my SVT and it looks funny on top of them....

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hmm...you dont happen to have a 310 do you:D

20. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Mark,
    The NV-610 is 23.75" wide. We made it 1/4" wider than an SVT so it WOULD look normal! As FUZZBASS has said, these are standard in black tolex, and the red is special order. Jim is out of red currently, so there will be a delay if someone wants it.
    GEEK