Yet another Brand A vs. Brand B thread?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Sorry, but here's another one.
    I need speakers and I've narrowed it down to either a used pair of Aguilar GS-112's (available locally at a decent price) or an Avatar SB112 Delta/B210 Delta combination. The prices are close enough to not be a factor. The GS-112's win in the weight and size department, but would the Avatars have more punch and tighter low end?
    I just got an iAmp 500, have both active and passive basses, all 4 stringers, lean towards an old school sound (yeah, I know, why an iAmp? I like the EQ set up), have played through a pair of GS-112's many times, have never even heard any Avatars, but would like something with nice punch and tight low end.
    Which way to go? Has anyone out there used both setups and care to comment?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd go with the Aggies with NO hesitation. If you like older school tone, and you've played through them, then you already know how great they sound. I haven't tried those particular Avatars, but I've played through an Avatar 410 I was less than impressed with.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i hear nothing but good stuff about avatar but havent tried 'em
    i had to sell my gs-112 and wish i hadn't - great cabinet (although you sometimes have to dial in a little midrange). even so, its a lot easier to get a cab to produce mids than produce fat bass it just doesn't have. a pair of aggies are a thing of beauty. used ones are a good deal.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I own and love three aguilar 112s. two are gs112 and one is gs112NT (no tweeter) I have only heard one avatar 112 don't know what speakers were put in it sinces avatar sells cabs with several kinds of drivers. anyway the short impression of the avatar reminded me of SWR workingman cabs good mids not as smooth as their pro line and the low bass is not as full as aguilar, not sure on max volume for the avatar, but I know my aggies can play pretty loud!

I'd say try em both maybe try a rig with one aggie and the avatar to combo rig.
  5. If the prices are that close, I'd go with Aguilar based on name alone. I also own a GS112 and love it to death. I've heard good things about the Avatar, but you are not going to find a better cab that the Aguilar for the price, or any price in my opinion. I just love the tone.

How great is your deal on these cabs?
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard people say and from my own experience; when you turn up the GS112's they brighten up in the mids. lower volumes can sound sluggish or muddy.
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Avatar stuff is great. It should have the punch/tightness you have in mind.

However, for the long run, it is probably better to get the higher end gear. As my sig indicates, you may end up with "too many cabinets" :crying:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1....I'm a big fan of Avatars (I owned a 410 NEO and 210 NEO) , but Aggies puts you in another league (the Epiphani, Accugroove, Bergie league)...this is a no brainer, IMO
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm an Avatar fan too. I'll probably have a B210 Neo within a month.

However.... if you can get Aguilar for the same price, then it only makes sense to do so. Give it a go and stack up some 112s :)