1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet Another Breakup Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    OK, this looks like a good place to vent about my band. We have been together now for about 6 months – 2 rhythm guitar players who also sing, a lead guitar, keyboards, drums and me on bass. All members have other (non-music related) jobs. Our style of music is oldies (‘60s thru ‘80s), blues, and contemporary country.

We have done cover gigs at bars, mostly, and as we’ve gone on we’ve really improved! Then, out of the clear blue sky 2 weeks ago, a couple of the guys decide that, in effect, they weren’t willing to do what’s necessary to maintain where we were at or to advance to the next level..too much “daily life stuff” interfering with practices, so they said.

Now, the rest of the story..we six are, well, let’s say “seasoned”. The youngest among us is in his 40s, and 3 of us are grandfathers!:eek: So there’s no delusions about “making it big” in the music business. My goal, and (I thought) the goal of the others, was to get to the point where we could maybe do a couple of steady paying gigs a month (bars, corporate functions, weddings, etc.) and maybe even an out-of-state gig once in a while. And now this.

There are some quality musicians in this group .. 3 of the members have played professionally before, 2 have opened for acts which were “Top 40” bands at the time, and the rest of us have been playing in other venues (churches, for example) for many years.

So I think, with this group looking like it’s gonna be history soon, that I will try and hook up with another band. Or perhaps the other members of this band (1 or 2) who want to continue and I will try and build another band from scratch. The “finding another band” scenario will be a lot more difficult for me than one might think, because of my age and the type of music I play (not many existing bands looking for a bassist in my situation). But damn it, gigs are in my blood now, and I’m not gonna quit until they pry my 5-string from my cold, dead fingers! :bassist: Wish me luck..

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Bummer, man. At least your band members were straight up about it.

My worst band breakup story - Playing in a 5 piece band with 2 guitars, keys, bass, and drums. I searched high and low to find the drummer, and finally found him - 3 months after we got the drummer, the lead guitarist just stopped showing up. The bassist and drummer PROMISED me that they weren't going anywhere and that they were totally dedicated to the band.

The next day, I find a post on the band's GUESTBOOK from the bassist saying that he didn't like our music anymore and that he and the drummer quit. A month later, I found out that the two of them started a heavier band with the old lead guitarist.

Good luck, man. There are plenty of "seasoned" guys looking to play - you shouldn't have much trouble.

3. You said that the bassist said that he didn't like your music anymore. I'm confused... Are you the bassist?

4. It is really a shame when you practice and learn the material and are getting really tight then, wham, the carpet is pulled from under you and you have to start again. I got lucky, well I say lucky, I planned this. I am 32 and I just started a band about 3 months ago. We are really tight and will be playing our first gig the end of this month. However, my drummer and I are the key to our band. I have known him since age 4. We grew up 10 houses from each other, went to elem. school, high school, college, same fraternity, etc.. and still live in the same town after all those years. I know we will always stick together no matter what. And the way I figure it, a guitarist and a singer are a dime a dozen. As long as we have the two hardest spots filled, us, everything else will be cake.
    Good luck.

5. I think the only way to avoid having to count on people's integrity is to create some form of formal agreement, a contract, that has provisions outlined for 'quitting'. For example, if someone agrees they are a part of the band, they agree that if they are going to leave they have to provide reasonable notice. This permits the rest of the band to find a replacement without losing gigs (money). If the 'quitter' simply wants to bail without any notice, they would be responsible for a certain amount of compensation to the rest of the band due to the unwanted loss of gigs their departure ineveitably incurs.

But that seems a little heavy-handed, huh?

Life in a cover band. I swear, I am going to do a documentary!

--tz