1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another Compressor Question....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I searched for awhile but really didn't find what I was looking for (other than something I had mentioned in a previous thread). So hopefully this isn't something that comes up often.

I was thinking of adding a Keeley compressor to my board, but the last time I added a compressor (I tried two different ones: a digitech Bass Squeeze, and an 80's Ibanez compressor) I got terrible feedback whenever I used my distortion when the compressor was engaged. I am wondering if this is always a problem or was just due to the type of compressor I tried (the Ibanez didn't work at all, so I traded it for the Digitech which gave me the awful feedback) I really like the concept of the compressor, just I like my distortion a lot more.

So after this long rambling, my question is. If I put a compressor in my chain, will it cause feedback with my distortion's, or was that a fluke?

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    are you always using some sort of drive or distortion? if so, that's all the compression you need!

i'm guessing you'd just have to tweak and re-tweak until all your pedals behave well together, like little kids in a preschool sandbox.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    OD/distortion provides compression. I usually switch off my compressor when I switch on my distortion. The two combined do not always result in squealing feedback- it's only when both of them are at max settings. Dial one or both back and the feedback should get under control. :)

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I don't use it all the time, but I do use it a lot, enough where switching the two on and off would be an unwanted problem.

Now I am getting into the generic question about it, but do you think it would be less of a problem with a more transparent compressor like the Robert Keeley one, or is it just a tweaking game to figure out?

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'd say go for the best one that you can afford, but it'll still be a tweaking game.

it's all about the tweak, mang.

wait....

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I leave my Punch Factory on all the time without feedback issues from my Little Big Muff. However, I also don't have either maxxed out on their settings.

If I get an opportunity to try them both with maxxed-out settings this week, I'll get back to you (can't promise anything though because of term papers :().