1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another compressor thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Okay, I've been reading the Ovnilabs reviews and FAQs. I've narrowed it down to two compressors. The Rothwell Love Squeeze and the 3Leaf Pwnzor. The problems I'm having in deciding between the two are as follows:

1) Right now I just have two basses and they are worlds apart in terms of design. The first one is a G&L SB-1 (think P-Bass) and the other is a G&L M-2500 (completely active with 18v preamp). I need something that will work well with these two very different basses.

2) Ease of use. I've never really used a compressor before and I would like something easy to use. The Rothwell just has two knobs. The Pwnzor has many and some of the adjustments are inside the pedal. So, I would have to open it up if I wanted to change something. Then again, according to Ovnilab you really want something that is completely adjustable to match the bass and playing style. On the Rothwell everything is pretty much fixed.

3) Sound quality and transparency. According to Ovnilabs the Pwnzor is more about sound enhancement. It also has some noise to it. Can anyone describe how much? While the Rothwell is extremely transparent and dead quiet.

Decisions, decisions!

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    i would not use either of those to match your criteria

3. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Why is that?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the G-Lab BC-1. http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/glab.shtml
    Without that sort of two-channel option, it is impossible for one compressor with one set of knob settings to work well with both a high-output bass and a lower-output bass.

5. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for weighing in Bongo. After thinking about it more and doing some more reading I think I'm going to go with neither and get the Empress Compressor.

6. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Because the Love Squeeze doesn't have an input adjust for your range of inputs. And neither have any metering, which kind of transforms ease of use, no matter how many knobs. I would get the Empress or the MXR C8whatever it's called.

7. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Listen to Bongo. He knows compressors.