Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another ebay question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope this is the right forum for this question; if not, Mods feel free to move it.

I sold a bass on ebay last night. This is the first item I've sold on ebay; I first set up a PayPal account. The winning bidder's location was listed in Texas, but now I've learned the bidder/buyer is actually in Australia and he's having me ship the bass to his friend in Texas, who'll somehow ship the bass to him down under.

My PayPal account shows the money is there and the transaction status is "Completed", yet PayPal has included a notice that the seller's account doesn't match his ship to address.

Because of this discrepancy PayPal won't offer their Seller's Protection Plan to me. But seeing as the money is in my PayPal account, should I go ahead and ship the bass off to Texas?

Ebay experts: What would you recommend?

Thanks,
    - Art

2. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I've bought/sold only a little over 100 items on Ebay, so I'm no expert, but I have had only good experiences. You have the money, so send it to wherever he asks. I often ask sellers to send stuff to my school, which is a different address, and that has not been a problem. I know of buyer protection, and have used it, but have not heard of seller protection. It would seem to me you wouldn't send the item unless you know the dough is in the account, then send it. MY

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thank you for the info.

- Art

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Assuming it's a scam, here's what may happen:

The purchase has 60 days to dispute the charges on his/her credit card.

You send the bass.

The purchaser disputes the charges, and Paypal does not protect you. Paypal refunds the purchaser's credit card. Paypal then will come after you for the money that was refunded. If it's still in your account, they will try to take it out, or if you've already taken it out, they will come after you for it.

If you want to play it safe, only ship the bass to the verified address. OR, withdraw all the money from your Paypal account, and then send the bass. Good luck with Paypal in this situation. I heard it can be really sticky.

Read what LowTone has to say in this thread:

http://ebassist.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=32131

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, withdraw that money...get them to send you a check, then send the bass.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Run away. Do not get involved with any 3rd parties, particularly if this wasnt made known to you before the auction ended. It could be legit but if the buyer has not been open enough with you before the auction ended how can you trust then now.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks everyone, C-5KO's scenario was exactly what I'm fearing. I haven't shipped the bass out, and I just emailed PayPal. Right now I'm planning on refunding the money, less my ebay listing fee, which clearly stated U.S. Bidders Only. I now have to contact ebay and inform them of this mess.

Thanks again.
    - Art

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    If the Buyer is using a stolen credit card, I'd end up losing the money down the road, plus I'd be out my bass. If you've ever purchased an item online, most credit card complanies insist that the billing address and shipping address match; which in this matter, is clearly not the case.

You can call your credit card company and after verifing your identification with them, you can then have an item sent to an address other than your billing address. I sometimes have items shipped to my wife's business or else the UPS or FedEx man will miss me. I'm rarely at home during their delivery hours.

The thing that irks me the most is that my listing stated U.S. Bidders Only, so I'll most likely have to re-list the bass and go through this again.

- Art

9. Smart move, especially since you stated U.S. BIDDERS ONLY in the auction. I'd say you're covered. Good luck.

10. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    You might suggest that the buyer's friend in Texas pay with his PayPal account if he has one. If he's legit, he may figure out something along those lines. Hopefully it'll keep you from getting an undeserved negative as well.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Seeing as I listed the terms as "U.S. Bidders Only" I'd be amazed if ebay will allows any negative feedback against me. I've also informed ebay of the error in the Texan/Austrailian "buyer's" bidding. I'm going to refund the "buyer" his money as soon as PayPal lets me know how it's done.

Now I have to re-list my StingRay-5 :scowl:

- Art

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Withdrawing all the money doesn't help, Paypal'll just take it from your bank account.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    My original suggestion is to actually take out ALL of the money in the Paypal account.

If there's no money to take out (of an empty account), it shouldn't be possible. But like in the real-life situation that Lowtone is going through (see link to thread), they will try to come after you.

14. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Oh yea, then they'll send debt collectors on you, friend's gone through that.

15. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Withdraw the money, then send the bass. I always tell people I am selling to that the item will ship AFTER the funds have cleared, in other words, in my hands.

16. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I like to use a completely different bank account for transactions like this.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    If the guy really wants the bass, tell him to send you a bank draft for the total amount (including shipping to Texas). I agree with the previous posts that if it isn't a confirmed address, don't touch the deal.