Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet ANOTHER ebay scam....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassikLee, Jun 9, 2005.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7328873298&fromMakeTrack=true

That bass is a Brice Douglas 5, Ash. Period. Not "custom made by a tech with 25 yrs experience" What a scam. I "sent seller a question" with the following:

"YOU, sir, have balls of titanium. You know damn well this bass is nothing more than a Brice Douglas, made in Korea, and sold NEW for either $299 or $199 if you got it when Rondo was blowing them out. How do some people sleep at night...."

We'll see if the auction changes.

Pi**es me off, really....

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Yup, how come the headstock says "fender" when the headstock ain't shaped like one?

And also he says that the fingerboard has "white positon markers", though i can't see them?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He might be refering to markers on the side of the neck.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, well anyway i find white position markers on a maple neck a bit.... wierd?

That IS a Brice headstock! ;)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I emailed all of the bidders and told them it was a fake.

I also reported it to Ebay, but I don't know if I did it correctly. Can an experienced Ebayer tell us how to report a counterfeit item?

6. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I also emailed all the bidders, you beat me to it Embellisher!

I reported it to eBay as a counterfeit item.

People like that make me upset, to say the least. :spit:

7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I didn't quite have the nutz to email the bidders, tho I suppose my email to the seller was "kurt" enough, pardon the pun! OK, to potential ebay scammers: do your research. Vintage Fender Jazz FIVE pickups??? I think not. At LEAST reshape the headstock on the bass, like I am gonna do on MY douglas 5 when the decal arrives. Note: I will not be selling the bass anytime soon, and if/when I do, I WILL fully disclose all info about same. Look at my ebay stuff if you will: good feedback, honest details about the stuff I am selling, etc.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ321bss

Sheesh....

8. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    You asked:
    "YOU, sir, have balls of titanium. You know damn well this bass is nothing more than a Brice Douglas, made in Korea, and sold NEW for either $299 or $199 if you got it when Rondo was blowing them out. How do some people sleep at night...."

YOU sir are pretty bold to make such an accusation. The information in the ad is 100% accurate. Yes I know it looks alot like the Brice. But the pickups, tuners, pots, and bridge are all superior to the Brice you speak of.

9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    this could get interesting, think he knows he's been reported twice already?

10. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Being a brice owner I have sent him an email stating that I have fowarded his listing to kirt at Rondo. thanks for your diligence.

11. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, just follow this link:Report Fraudulent Ebay Listing

12. From what I see, I don't think it was meant to be a scam. He clearly states that he used decals and after market parts on the bass and never once mentioned that it was a vintage fender. He even said it was built recently. He also says he got some of the parts from stewmac. I fail to see whats a scam here.

13. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    He says it was built by a local guy. It was built in a factory in Korea. A wee bit of difference in my book. I've emailed him, and his current stance is "this is what the guy I got it from told me"

14. The body may have been built in korea, probably even the whole thing, but it obviously has some mods done to it (Note the pickup covers and the decals on the headstock.) Perhaps it was a miscommunication the person he bought it from, that still doesn't make him at falt if he is ignorant to that knowledge.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it is a brice, there is a stunning resembalance, I just think its a little much to report him to ebay for a counterfit product based on looks alone.

15. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Emails:

BrevardSound@aol.com wrote:

Funny you should mention that, because I am sitting here with an Ash Brice Douglas 5, and it has the SAME bridge, SAME tuners, SAME shape, etc etc. Let me ask you this, exactly when did fender make a jazz 5 back in the day, from which to have VINTAGE pickups from now??? Dude, your cover is blown, all your bidders have been told about it, and it is on a public forum. I'd suggest you pull the auction, swiftly.

His reply:

I contacted Rondo after I first received this bass. I got it on ebay and it was advertised exactly as it is described in this ad. Rondo told me that there is no way even with pictures that they could determine if this was indeed a Brice or not. I contacted the person who sold the bass to me with my concerns and he was adamant about the fact that he built this bass. I have had it in the shop (Guitar Trader) in San Diego to have it checked out. All I can say is that I have been convinced that this is not a Brice bass although it looks like it. I'm not a dishonest guy and I have no intention of doing anything immoral.

My reply:

The old "that is what the guy I bought it from told me" defense, nice..... It is a brice, clearly. would you like pics of mine?????

His reply:

I don’t need any pictures. Thanks. I got this bass on ebay from the guy who said he built it…..that’s the absolute truth. If you want to contact him to see what he says, go to my feedback and click on the 5th one down from the top. (fromsedona) If he even responds to you, he will probably say some awful things about me because I disputed the purchase of this bass when he didn’t respond to my questions about it. He later claimed his AOL had blocked many emails including mine. Anyway, this guy was very serious about that fact that he built this guitar. It turned out that I could not prove anything. I emailed Rondo and asked if they coud identify this bass by the pictures. I was told it could not be positively identified. After having this bass checked out by a repair guy here in San Diego, I was told this very well could be custom built. I was told the tuners, bridge and electronics were superior to the Brice. I dropped the dispute.

I’ll end the auction and relist with a different description. I don’t need the money or the headache !!!

My final reply:

I am not saying it isn't a decent bass. Hell, I puts barts in mine. That said, it is NOT a custom built bass, period. It is a CHEAP Korean made copy, with "some" aftermarket parts on it. The fact that the guy you bought it from lied to you does not let you off the hook. YOU got burned on the deal, and now you want to pass the burn along.

SO, we'll see what happens, and how it is relisted.

16. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    HELLO

all things Brice aside... What the****is the Fender logo doing on this bass ?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Including the "registered" mark.

18. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I dunno looks pretty shady to me. I wouldn't buy it, but who knows? Some unlucky soul will. I just can't get past the fender body style. So generic, uninspiring, IMO. I wasn't aware that Fender even made 'vintage' 5 strings.

Whoever buys it is gonna wonder why it has 'made in Korea' stamped on it. :p

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Phew.. I'm glad I'm not the only one who things you shouldn't be putting "fake" decals on a bass (or anything else, for that matter). Even if you are going to keep it or be honest when you sell it. The next person down the line may not be as honest as you are.

20. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

I'm afraid I have very little faith in eBay's motivation to keep their auctions honest. They get their percentage on real or fake goods, whether the seller delivers or not. :eyebrow: I stopped using eBay for purchases after being burned three times in a row (all non-deliveries for a total loss to me of around $800). On all three I used their arbitration service. In two cases, the seller essentially disappeared, and eBay said they could do nothing; in the third case, the seller said he would resolve the issue personally, and with that eBay (or SquareDeal) closed the arbitration. :rollno:

I do buy with eBay's help, though. After being cheated three times by eBay (I have to accuse them) I purchased a Modulus Genesis 5 from Lowdown Sound (good folks) one that I had found through a search on eBay then contacted the seller directly. :smug:

It made me feel warm inside knowing that eBay wouldn't get their commission on this one. It gives me an even warmer feeling to suggest that others do the same where possible ;)