Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another EMG pickup thread.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Upon talking to my friendly neighborhood guitar tech and telling him I think I'd like to try to get more of a "Music Man tone" out of my P-Bass, he informed me that EMGs would be a very good choice. I talked to a second tech, who wholeheartedly agreed with that recommendation, so I think I am going to go with EMG's Active P replacements. My question is, does anyone know if anyone sells these pickups online? I was told that there would be about a three month wait for them, if they were to be ordered right from EMG. Help me! Thanks.

2. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Try looking at e-bay. There's always a lot of EMG stuff listed at decent prices.

3. try these guys - don't know about the wait but they seem to be able to get EMGs at good prices. am looking at the 3 way tone control myself.

http://www.dguitarparts.com/

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Head to your local GC, they usually have them in stock. My question is though, where do you put the battery?

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't have a GC near me -- I live in Wisconsin. :(

As far as the battery and where it fits: I was told simply, "It'll fit." I guess it's supposed to go under one of the pots. It's a bummer that I will have to remove the pots and pick guard to change batteries, but I was also told that if I unplug after each and every use, I should get a year or so on a battery.

Thanks for this links, guys! I'm going to check them out now!

7. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
  8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I have some EMG's in my bass right now in perfect condition that I'd be willing to part with... its a P-J setup

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    dmaki, you have a PM from me.

Can these pickups be wired up with a push-pull switch, so that if the battery takes a dumper on me during a gig (not that I'm gigging anymore), I can switch it off and continue on?

10. I don't mean to take over this thread but whenever I start a thread I can never seem to get a large number of responses. Or any for that matter. Can someone tell me the difference between the EMG40DC and EMG40CS? How do they sound different from eachother? Does one go in the neck position and the other in the bridge position? How much do these normally sell for? And how much is the EMG-BTQ? So many questions. I hope I get answers!