Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another F bass rant ( and other thoughts )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jan 8, 2006.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i just posted this on the F bass forum, but i felt compelled to share with my TB brothers.

i have said it before... many times.
    I have played a lot of basses, and some have been great.
    even sometimes, i feel like something a little different, as was recently the case when i put together a very nice warmoth jazz 5 with top of the line components ( i have always has a warm spot in my heart for a J style bass ) for a spare bass.
    and yes, it sounds great and has a very cool vibe with blocks and binding, etc...however...
    i just put a fresh set of custom gauge F bass strings on the bn5 and did a smooth jazz gig this afternoon with a smoking rhythm section (including one of my favorite drummers ever, Don Meoli, a local groove monster ) and man, is it ever home for me!
    suddenly , the things that seem taxing on other basses came much more easily. The tones i needed for the different tunes were all waiting at the surface with no need for time wasted tweaking. When i needed a slap tome that was full, but cutting, it was right there. When i need a clean , punchy "jacoish"tone for a fast samba, it was right there. This bass and all it's parts just continues to amaze after all the time i have had it. Between playing to Don's groove and the feel of this bass, i have to say I had more fun that i should be allowed to have. Which brings to mind how wonderful music is, what a gift from God it is ! it makes me forget my troubles for a while. I am so thankful.
    Thankful to a loving God, one that created music, gave me the love for it and gave someone like George Furlanetto the talent to take things like the woods used to make a wonderful instrument that continues to give me joy. I am so thankful.... so much i had to share.
    peace and blessings to all,
    Adrian :)

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yeah, I like mine too. My Warwick 5 string has not seen the light of day since I got my BN5.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Adrian, I just ended up with the purple BN6 with the ebony board that you used to have at Access Bass. I wanted to get it when you had it but missed out on the opportunity. I'm so glad that it's here with me now! What a bass!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad you guys have, especially Adrian, have your match. Some folks go forever and are never really satisfied.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    COOL! congrats, man!
    if all goes well, i am looking at a BN6 in the near future.
    Yes, i will try my hand a 6 strings again, but for my important gigs, i will always bring my wonderful bn5 .
    Dr. Cheese , not to take away from some absolutely wonderful basses i have had ( MTD, early Tobias, Nordstrand , etc...)
    i just find the ultimate mojo in the F bass

6. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    I hear you Adrian....there has been too many compliments on the F's tone overall for me to keep track...and they seem to fit any style too.
    I just came from the shop... and there are going to be some exquisite basses at NAMM in a few weeks....maybe I'll see you there- still owe you dinner:)

Mitch

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Mitch, i'm gonna try to get there, George has a badge for me ( i hope he remembered) and it would be great to see you guys!
    you owe me nothing, my friend... that WAS a great dinner though, huh? with George, Alain and Carey? i was like a kid in wonderland !
    if i go, it will have to be thurs, i have a rehearsal fri for a big gig sat ..
    ( big time championship boxing match at Mandalay Bay, hope the guy the gig is for wins! what if he loses ???? :eek: )

8. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    lol...for that gig maybe you should bring the other bass and leave the Great Mac at home- you know..him losing a big match could be hazardous (LV must be a very interesting place to gig....!)
    That dinner was fun for sure..going to try another one with even a few more-
    Thurs is cool..you'll get to the basses before the strings go dead...and Bassquake. Better make sure with George so if he dosent have one he can leave one for you at the door.

Cheers,Mitch

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What kind of basses does George have heading to NAMM?

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah.....I believe this bass that I just got was made in 2002. Have the pickups been changed at all since then?

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh man! Considering what your ebony topped bass looks like I can't even imagine what you'd come up for on a 6 string F. :eek: :bassist:

12. Hey Adrian:

Great post, I know George is proud to have you as a genuine "promoter" of his work. If you come up here in the future it would be great to visit with you.

I'm going to be in Vegas the last week of March - any gigs I can see you at?

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I have to agree, George builds a wonderful Instrument. I've only ever had used ones in, but I have had a good number and have felt they all kicked butt. Many brands are hit and miss, but George seems to alway put out winners.

Look forward to seeing you two guys at the show (Adrian & Mitch).

Mitch, if you have a few shots of George's NAMM basses post them up or shoot me pics if you have them and I will be happy to post them for you.

Adrian, glad you are feeling better bro and look forward to seeing you..... even if it is sober ;)

14. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Well.....everything in the line (no 4 strings though). Some great finishes and colors (including a turquoise ceruse) and tops- lots of variety, a killer playing/sounding one- of - a - kind Caron 6...and a new piccolo prototype that I had some input on.... there may be a pic of the NAMM basses just before they are shipped from the shop on the website next week..if not there will be several I'm sure when we get back.
    The pups may be different than in your bass from that time..best to ask George .
    Cheers,Mitch

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    LOL, i can't afford to spend too much more on basses, this one will be an all ash/ maple board with the newer electric blue finish ( wish i could afford trans white ), seeing as to i am not sure i can tackle 6 strings for any length of time !

16. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto

Hey Brian- looking forward to seeing you ....and your booth too... (I'm getting pretty stoked to leave this winter wonderland).
    Thanks for the offer.... George and I were talking today that he should take pics of them and post it all on the site for everyone to get a glimpse who may be interested- truly some beautiful stuff- so maybe they will be there next week.
    BTW...those new Benevantes look wild:)

Cheers,Mitch

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bob, George is way cool - I am proud to play his bass. I missed you a few months back when i visited ( i played in Niagara Falls with Sheena Easton ) our man Mitch, the world traveler, was in Europe.

18. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto

Ya..but George told me it all sounded great. Must be something to be a luthier and hear a good player play your bass and have it sounding so good ...

imagine...from a piece of wood to music that moves people...kind of magical

Mitch

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    it's interesting what some things will do to you, Brian.... yes, the Rastaman is no longer. In fact, I am a very changed man. For the better, spiritually.
    if i do make it to NAMM, i'm thinking i may have to go wed, so i can wake up and go to the show thurs morn , then drive back that night. I am looking for someone to share the ride, i hate to do it alone, but alas, only one badge.. i'd hate to miss namm, but my daughter arrives that sat night ( while i'm on the gig , no less ! maybe i should have a limo pick her up and take her straight to the big event, yeah, right! - and that gig pays for her plane ticket and then some ) so i have to be here with her Sunday.
    Mitch, Vegas is a TRIP to gig in.
    Bob, in March, God and health permitting, i will be playing at the Luxor in the Vegas production od Broadway's "Hairspray "- i can try to see how generous they are about tickets, but the show may be sold out in advance for 12 weeks since it's pretty popular in NYC and the first 12 weeks will boast the original Bway stars.

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hey, and here's to Adrian (who might remember me, but probably remembers my F bass!) for hooking many of us up with our main axes.

Adrian hooked me up with a beautiful F Bass BN5 with birdseye maple top and amberburst(?) finish. He really helped me select my way to an F Bass. This bass will probably always be my first pick.

Thanks Adrian!

Brian Holtz