Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another flabby B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by godspeed68, Mar 24, 2004.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Fellow (app. 30Hz - 12 kHz) slingers. Recently I recieved an Elrick Classic 5. Beautiful instrument. Yet, on the 35 inch scale, the B string is pretty flabby, and even with taper-wound strings, is a task within itself to intonate. Do any of you fine players out there have some tricks that I'm not yet familiar with that can be slung my way....? Thanks for your time.

Birth, Bass, Death......hah, I always liked that :bassist:

tOm

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Although I don't have one I would like to know. The bridge doesn't adust enough to get the intonation correct?

I personally feel the scale really doesn't set the string length. 35 was supposed to fix the floppy B on the 34's.
    Typically pulling the bridge back will yeild more tension. If the string is flat with tension then it needs more break at the nut.

I can see it happening no matter how long you make the neck. I am a minority and quite sure some will let me know how I am wrong. I will also stick to what I have said. To me you fix what ya got. You need to tighten a string pull the bridge back and then see how far off it is. Too far off staple it down on the other side of the nut.

tk

3. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    my B is floppy to ive just gotten used to it so ill be watching this thread too. and my i say welcome.... TB will suck you in :)~

4. try to install a "zero fret", it helps sometimes and it's a low cost investment.

5. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    im not try to start a side bar but indulge me, whats a "zero fret"

6. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Zero fret means the fret some basses have right after the nut, corresponding to an open string.

7. My understanding is that string tension is determined by the string length, thickness, and the note that you tune it to.

On that basis, if you feel that a string is too flabby, and the note is fixed, and the length is fixed, try using a different (heavier) gauge of string, with a truss rod adjustment to compensate for the change in tension.

I did this in reverse and fitted a lighter set, so I went from a 140 gauge B to a 125 gauge B (I think those were the numbers) and I found that my playing speed went up, because I did not have to press so hard. The down side is that every time I play a standard-strung bass in a shop, I sound like a beginner because I get fret buzz. That's my excuse anyway.

8. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well ya thats what i kind of figured but i cant see it in my head. maybe im just having a hard time wraping my head around it.

if you run by a pic of it p.m. me the link, thanks.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] zero fret.

10. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok that makes sence now.... and sorry for being slow but what is that suppost to do?

11. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    the elrick does, in fact, have a zero fret...and no, adjusting the saddle doesn't quite do it.....ill have to email elrick and ask him what he thinks....thanks

tOm

12. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Frets transmit the vibration of the string to the fretboard, on to the neck and body. If you think of having a different material for every fret, the tone etc. would also be different. It kinda balances the tonal difference between an open string and a fretted note.
    It probably influences sustain too, but i haven't noticed a big difference..there are probably other influences, but i don't know any more of this. :)

I think the effect in tone it has is quite small, then again I haven't really compared them that much.

13. If you were used to lighter strings wouldn't you get less buzz with the heavier standard-strung store basses?

14. The lighter string has less tension, so you get used to pressing less hard, so when you go back to standard gauge, you don't press hard enough, so you get fret buzz.

15. oh ok

16. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    86 the B and join me - go Hi-C! :hyper:

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    A lot of people have had problems setting intonation with taperwounds (myself included). Since a taperwound is essentially one string with two very different guages, it's not that surprising. IMHO, it's best to leave taperwound strings where they came from - on a piano, since they have no frets and thus no intonation problems.

A lot of basses I've done set-ups on do not have enough travel on the B saddle to pull it back to where it needs to be; In order to get the saddle way back into the bridge, I've often had to cut the spring or the screw, and I've occasionally had to grind a bit of metal off the back of the saddle.

18. Yikes. It's more simple than that. All you have to do is to loosen the string and then move the saddle back. The reason why there's no travel is because the B is weighing down on the saddle so much it can't move.