1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yet another guitarist transitioning thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bluestone, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bluestone

bluestone

Apr 1, 2013
    hey all i'm new to talkbass and also bass guitar for that matter, long story short i'm a 21 year old guitarist thinking about changing to bass because there is an abundance of guitarists and not enough bassists and drummers which makes it hard getting in a band (not the best reason to make the switch i know). anyway i was wondering how long roughly it would take me to get good enough on bass to get in a band. also i know about music theory and the tones that make up chords and have a fairly decent groove and rhythm on guitar (i'm not one of these mindless plank wan]<ing guitarists).
    thanks for the help :)

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    How good are you at booking gigs? If you are a good bandleader who can provide your "hired guns" with a steady income, then you can start playing out tomorrow.

If you want to play bass in someone else's band, then ask that person what they want/need in a bass player (I'm not being flip; the answer might be anything from "cool hair style" or "have a car and be willing to pick up the drummer" or "know every Rush song" or "have a great attitude and show up on time willing to learn").

Generally speaking, if you can turn on the radio to a station in the style you want to play, and play along with the songs, then you are good enough to play in a band in that style.

I joined a band on my first day playing bass (actually we all went out and bought instruments together). I have never for even an instant of my music career been "not good enough to play in a band."

3. Seba_H5001

Seba_H5001

Jul 15, 2012
    It all depends the effort you put, bass is different than guitar, try to get the good habits of a bassist, not the bad ones, sometimes they'll stick forever, support your thumb ib the pickups, learna the basics of a bass tone, but mainly PRACTICE, that's the humble opinion of a young boy :D

4. I played (still do) rhythm guitar in a band with a friend that plays bass - and one day he said to me; "I'm going to sing and play rhythm guitar at Wood Nursing Home on Thursday afternoons, take my bass and back me up. Here is all you need to know. Find the I chord's root on the 3rd string, the IV chord's root will then be on the 2nd string same fret and the V chord's root will be same fret 4th string. Play roots and follow the chord progression. Here is where you will find the 5 to each chord, you'll want to slip in some 5's. See you Thursday at @ 2:00 PM".

That was three years ago and the rest is history. The switch to bass is a piece of cake, I bet you know how to play from fake chord, do the same with the bass, except with the bass we play the chords one note at a time instead of strumming them. Is there more? Sure, but, that will get you started.

Root on 1. If you have room add the 5. Still have room throw in the 8. Still have room see if you can insert the 3 and or 7 before the music goes off and leaves you. Roots and fives play a lot of bass. You will not be getting lead breaks for quite some time so forget about that, concentrate on chord tones and follow the changes.
    www.studybass.com. will be a good place to spend some time.

Sure, use your plectrum.

Go have fun. It's a blast.

5. Depends what sort of band. Playing crazy funk/jazz grooves will take longer than Root-V country.

If you already know where the notes are, you&#8217;ll be competent to hold the bottom in most rock/pop styles in a few weeks. Once your fingers and arms grow accustomed to holding down grown-up sized strings.

Bass is easy to learn, but difficult to master.

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    You can start playing AC/DC songs tomorrow if you want.

Just play and play and play. After that play some more. If you enjoy it you'll keep playing, if not you'll watch TV.

Good luck!

:bassist:

7. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    WOW! It took me about a year of heavy duty woodsheddin' before I felt I was "good enough". If you're transitioning from guitar, will you be playing with a pick. If not, take the time to learn proper right hand technique, you'll be better for it in the long run.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would learn to play fingerstyle with right hand, first. You'll notice you can play a lot of songs with a pick but many of them will just sound wrong unless you do some major EQing. The reverse is also true, some songs just don't sound right if you DON'T play them with a pick. Having both techniques under your belt and reasonably close in ability to use will get you much farther in the bass world. Learn pop/slap when you feel like it or when it becomes necessary. You could go your whole career without using it, but it is neat if you get into funk music.

9. bluestone

bluestone

Apr 1, 2013
    thanks for the help guys but i've decided to learn the drums instead as for some reason there's just something about the bass that i don't like (not knocking it though). plus i seem to have taken to the drums rather quickly as i just started yesterday and am pretty much already at grade 2/3 :O