1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another help me with my pedal board thread,,Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

So I'm building a board,, I could use allot of advice so I don't make too many mistakes. Your advice/opinions are very welcome!
    I searched and read and learned just enough to have stupid opinions that I think are "right".I'm hoping a person or two will get some enthusiasm for my world/project and mentor me a bit.

I enjoy classic funk tones of the 70's and and in general want bass sounds that like a bass(Bootsy!). Some rip you head off OD tones.Chorus for "clean" single note soloing.

I had a GT-6b for a while that I used in combination with a sansamp.

So this is what I have in mind,
    A Flanger to be desided
    Chorus """""""""""""""" maybe a analogman mini(small is good)
    MXR M288
    Compulator
    Deep impact
    Angler
    VT bass
    Bass Muff
    Ernie Ball Vol Pedal
    Bass Balls Nano
    Small Stone Nano
    Micro Q tron
    DT tuner

I own already

Compulator
    Deep impact
    Angler
    VT bass
    Bass Muff
    Ernie Ball Vol Pedal
    Bass Balls Nano
    Small Stone Nano

Lots of questions

Too ambitious? Too Big? (see next question)

Board itself?,,Size needed?

2 Boards? If so how would you split them up?

Power supply?

Bypass/looper,,,, How many Loops? advantages/disadvantages?

Pedal substitutions?

Order of signal?

DI? how come their not on more boards?

I have active Jazz basses and a passive P bass. Bergantino IP112 and a ampeg SVP-CL berg NV.

Thank You!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    It's pretty hard to say without knowing your musical style or whether you'd actually have a use for that many pedals. 13 is quite a few to try and connect, power and troubleshoot.

As for your other questions:

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive flanger, I like the Guyatone FL-3 a lot. And though it wouldn't be my choice, the Boss BF-2 gets a lot of love around here and can be found used at decent prices. Of course, the EHX XO Electric Mistress would give you chorus and flanger in one small package, though it has a somewhat unique tone so you might want to check it out before buying.

2 boards? Maybe. Most of those pedals are pretty small. You could likely fit them all on a PT-Pro. I've cut cardboard to the size of the Pedaltrain and paper to the shape/size of the pedals I didn't yet have to see before I bought.

Power supply? Well, you'll need two. PPII+ and a 1spot or two Dunlop bricks (not my choice), or even two Pedal Powers. Depends on your budget, which pedals are daisy chainable and possibly your tolerance for hum.

I'm not a fan of bypass loopers personally, so someone else could answer that. Then again, my boards are primarily built for gigging and not recording, so bypass (unless it is pretty bad) isn't much of a concern of mine. Plus I think Loopers themselves (especially when they have a bunch of loops) can contribute to tone suck themselves. What I've done in the past - and am considering doing again is getting one bypass loop for my whole board. So if I want (or if there's a failure somewhere on my board) I can just go direct to the amp.

Pedal substitutions? That's not really something I can answer for you. Your list has some pedals I like and some I don't, but I'm sure others will like the ones I don't and vice versa. It's all personal taste.

Signal order? Again, personal taste. But if it were me, I'd probably first try it like this and then go from there:

MXR M288
    Deep impact
    Micro Q tron
    Bass Balls Nano
    Angler
    Bass Muff
    Compulator
    Small Stone Nano
    Chorus """""""""""""""" maybe a analogman mini(small is good)
    A Flanger to be desided
    VT bass

The Volume pedal and tuner each could go at the beginning or end of the chain but then again, I don't use either.

I don't have a DI because I run a line from the DI output of my amp to the FOH, but also because my DI pedal is always in my gig bag. I see it as an emergency tool rather than something I always want on my board. Others obviously feel differently.

Hope that helps.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

Thanks for you help,,it's appreciated.

Your "opinion" matters to me. I will take it all with a grain of salt,especially when advised to.

I have deliberately selected small boxes to try and keep things "sane" Do you really think I'd have to go with a frame 32x16x3.5 inches / weight 7 lbs board? That's too big for me. I would definitely split it into a Tools/every gig and a effects board.

If I did that how would you recommend I interact the 2?

I want a separate flanger from chorus pedal.The attraction to the analogman has allot to do with size.

Please elaborate on the power supplies thinking "do it right" cost no object.

Thanks

Aj

Aj

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've only had a two board setup once, but it was pretty recently. I set up a "synth" board and a modulation/time based effects board. I connected them with a 3ft patch cable at 90 degrees to one another which left room for a mike stand to go in in the square space left between them. I powered each board with a Pedal Power II+ which is the best solution IMO. Not necessarily the Voodoo Lab, but a power supply with isolated outputs. The TRex Fuel Tank is another example.

As for my personal opinion on your pedals - here goes:

Chorus maybe a analogman mini - not much of a chorus fan, but the AM is great.
    MXR M288 - haven't tried it. I don't know how it compares to the OC-2 or Octabass
    Compulator - Great compressor, but it depends on your needs
    Deep impact - I know many love it but I'm not a fan, especially at that price point.
    Angler - Haven't tried it, but the clips (especially David Wilson's) sounded fantastic
    VT bass - Great tube emulation
    Bass Muff - Not really a Muff fan, but this seems like a good one
    Ernie Ball Vol Pedal - I've never had a use for a volume pedal
    Bass Balls Nano - Cool sounds, but very thin sounding IMO
    Small Stone Nano - My favorite budget phaser
    Micro Q tron - too quacky for me. There are other filters I like more
    DT tuner - I don't use pedal tuners but if I did I think I'd go for the pitchblack just to save board space.

Not a bad list by any means, but it all depends on your playing style, rig and preferences. Personally I'd never used phaser, flanger AND chorus - but you might. I'd take some time to seriously consider whether all those pedals will get used before you spend hundreds of dollars on a dual board, dual power supply pedal setup.

Cheers.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The deep impact and the Angler I bought years ago I think I got 300 into them total. They've sat in a box.

I want a Chorus for single note soloing and fretless and a Flanger for that late 70's flanger thing its the phaser that I question. One popped for reasonable money in the adds so I got it.

My main rig is a IP112 so having a basic compressor /Tube Emulation tuner/vol pedal DI set up would be great.

If I was to have 2 boards,One like above and wanted to insert the second to maintain that signal path you've recommended.How do I do that?

Aj

6. Have you already hooked up what you have and seen what you like/ don't about your setup? Seems to me that there may be a whole lot that you can accomplish with what you have. If you start itching for something then move toward buying something for this and that.

Seems to me that right now you have a lot of stuff that could be kind of redundant (depending on what you want it to do). Start separating the stuff that stays on all the time from the stuff that never makes it into the rotation now then start adding the pieces that you yearn for the most.

The few times that I bought stuff because I just wanted to throw 'these sounds' together usually end badly. It's better for me to get to know the sounds I have and then look for what seems to be missing. If I play for a few weeks and the GAS is still lingering, then it is a pretty good bet that is what I'm looking for.

IMO and good luck.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I have to differ with you here. The FL-3 is one of the noisiest modulation pedals I have ever used. With a variety of rigs, in a variety of electronic environments, it put out so much mushy high end swoosh between and over the notes that I didnt even consider keeping it.

I mean for example, if you have tried the ehx xo clone theory (I don't mean the nano clone), and the noise level bothered you, the FL-3 will have you pulling out your hair!

I've been disappointed by all the guyatone micros I've tried. The buffers are really poor. I hate to say it but that product line seems to be cheap for a reason.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Even though I completely understand your point and see what your saying(at least I see what I notice).Do you mind expanding in detail. I'm sure there's fruit there for me to learn from.

Aj

9. It may not be for everyone, but I mounted a Furman Plug Lock under both of my boards. Here's a picture of my PT-Pro, which you can probably tell is not regularly used at the moment, nor are the pedals that are strewn about its surface:

BoardPowerSupplycopy.

I put a Voodoo PP2+ on there in addition to the power strip, because I have a number of pedals that need a wall wart, but that may not be the case for you. It's something to think about for the future if you ever have that problem though. The PP2+ has a three prong outlet on it that the power strip plugs into, which I think is pretty slick. You lose some real estate with the power strip, but I think it's worth it, and its a pretty quick removal (maybe a bad idea if you're planning to resell it at some point).

As for loopers, I am ardent supporter of parallel loopers. I went custom, but I believe there are others out there that may fit the bill. The advantage is that you can run one channel with some wacky effect that guts the bass, and then have a second channel clean, or with an EQ, or overdrive, or anything that can function as some kind makeshift preamp. This will let you use any effect you want without worrying about the tone suck (however minute) that is inherent to many pedals. Also, I have zero (or close to it) tone loss with mine. If you are going to go with a parallel looper, then you must go with one board, as feeding the mixed parallel signal into a series of effects negates the entire purpose of a parallel looper.

10. It seems to me that you have 4 pedals that perform some kind of distortion: the Angler, Akai, Muff and VT. Clearly they all have their own sound (and you may want all of them) but it's been my experience that if I have a bunch of subtle nuanced distortions, I just pick one or two that I like the best. One high gain, and maybe one low gain and then ride those two and leave the others like red headed step children (with apologies to all red headed step children).

Then you have the Akai and Bassballs for filters which could end up with you using only one and having no use for the other.

Perhaps you love the Muff and Bassballs for your synthy goodness and think the Akai has the funnest collection of useless sounds on the planet (as I did the Bass Synth Wah).

I don't know, but until you really kill time with your setup as is, you won't either.

Edit::: +1 for parallel loopers. They's a kick.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Could you point towards a parralell looper online that you guys like

Aj

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    boss LS-2

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    So......parallel loopers are for individual effects and they're individual wet/dry blenders that combat tone/low end suck?

Has anyone made a multiple parallel looper?

Aj

14. Here's a thread.
    Here's another.

LS-2 is a weird pedal in that it is at the same time amazingly versatile and too limited for my uses. The above threads will guide you through a few things.

The end of the PYPedalboard thread has some stuff right now as well.

15. Just a recommendation, I absolutely adore my BBE Mind Bender for a chorus. All analogue, true bypass, and with two knobs it's so easy to dial in a great sound. It also has a vibrato function built in that sounds great.