yet another impedance, wattage Q...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicoli, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Alright, so I'm thinking of adding a 1x15 to my rig, which would then be running 350 watts at 4 ohms.

My question is whether a cab rated for 200 watts at 8 ohms will still be safe. The way I understand it from the searches I did, is that each cab will draw half the wattage, meaning the speaker will receive 175 watts but at 4 ohms.

Does the power handling capability of the speaker change if the total impedance is now 4 ohms?
  2. Alright, I've done some more research and it seems as if I've answered my own question now.

The impedance only changes for the amplifier, the speaker will have the same handling regardless of what load the amp is driving. Therefore, I should be able to safely run this setup.

Do I have this right now?
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001

You can also use a 300w amp with a 200w cab without any more danger to the cab really than if you use a 200w amp - most of the time you're not using that much power anyway, and the difference is slight in reality. Likewise, running 150w into a 200w cab isn't necessarily "underpowering" it.