1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another "Is this a weak idea?" thread

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I've posted about this already, but I'm looking for inquisition. If you've kept tab, I never found a metal band that gave me what I wanted out of it, and though I'm not looking to make my life's worth out of it (more for my own creative release and growth as a musician, blah blah blah), I don't neccessarily want to be stuck in my basement my whole life persay doing underground one-man recordings in the traditional sense. Thus, I've began writing songs entirely for a distorted bass guitar and vocals.

The main challenge wasn't coming up with music for me, as I've wanted to do this for awhile. The main challenge has been "mimicking" the whole ensemble with just the distorted bass guitar while singing, and I believe I'm getting to a point where I am succeeding (and I've gotten a whole new set of chops out of this), but I'm wondering if I'm asking for too much. Generally, the style is what I'd call progressive doom metal, generally mid paced ultra low tuning (obviously) with plenty of odd metres. Unfortunately, I don't have any recordings of me doing this yet as I don't feel I'm completely comfortable putting the seal of approval on it, but I'm wondering if there's been anyone who's done something similar or if any of you think there may be a hint of possibility in it. I know Keiji Haino has a recording of something somewhat similar with just a guitar and vocals, but I'm looking for your guys opinions. Thanks!

Also, I'm not looking to simply do a one-man recording with me playing guitars, drums, bass, singing, and etc. in the traditional sense. This is something I'd like to be able to perform live just playing bass and singing, just to give you a general scope.

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    You migth want to check out the Gateless Gate. By "might" I mean this isn't a band I've ever heard, and I'm not sure if anybody else has either, but it was described to me as something somewhat like what you're talking about. This is supposedly a one-man doom band who does guitar, vocals, kick drum and occasionally cymbals all at the same time. 23 Productions was going to release some of his material last year and that was all I heard - try emailing them.

3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Thanks.

I did some internet searching, and couldn't find much more. I know somebody wanted to do a metal project with guitar, vocals, and a double kick drum, and I know Matt McGuire, aka MAN Incorporated, does a one-man Black Flag with a bass guitar and kick drum with himself singing.

I know that no verdict can be proven either way at this point, given that to my knowledge this is a completely new experiment, so I guess my main question right now is would you the listener immediately point and laugh based on what I describe, or might you take a serious listen further?

Again, thanks.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    You might have better luck asking on, say, the Southern Lord forum - they're into the weirder mutations of doom there.

I think kick drum will make people take you more seriously than just bass and vocals or bass/vocals/drum machine. I've occasionally played some kick at rehearsals when the drummer was absent, my doom band occasionally used a kick drum played by one of the other bassists or the violinist... it's not that hard.

If you can manage really intense vocals like Haino, Kan Mikami, Shuji Inaba's live material or (for something more metal) Wormphlegm then you'll find an audience no matter what the rest sounds like.

Going off on a tangent, my greatgrandfather built a cymbalom (Eastern European hammered dulcimer) and later added foot pedals to it so he could use it to accompany his fiddle playing. He made his own fiddle, too, and later modded it into an 8-string.