Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THC, Nov 30, 2001.

1. OK, I have a MIM jazz F/L. I've read about all the popular upgrades but I'm happy W/ it the way it is for now. BUT, the one thing that does bother me is the amount of (directional) hum it picks up. I haven't seen anyone mention shielding the control cavity, just swapping out pups.
    I actually don't have a problem with the sound of them. They blow away my carvin pups, so why not keep 'em? So if I wanna get rid of this hum, will shielding do it for me? Or is it all in the pups? :confused:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Shielding may help. The bass is totally unshielded. I agree that the stock pickups on the MIM Jazz basses are nice, I liked the sound of them on my MIM back in the day.

3. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Remember they are trus single coil pickups. They will make noise unless both are cranked all the way up. That's normal.

4. Actually, I'm talking about hum picked up from other sources, not the standard single coil hum. (Which is actually non-existent on this bass)I'm talkin' about directional, as in facing flourescent lights, computer monitor, or amp head that comes and goes according to your proximity to the equip. Like I said, I can handle the "normal" hum, just not the "extra" hum.

5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think that shielding the cavity will go a LONG way towards fixing that problem.

6. I have the same bass and the same problem. yesterday i bought a soldering iron and tore my bass apart. today i shielded all the cavities. tomorrow, i'll buy some wire and resolder everything. i'll let you know if it helps or not.

question: because i had enough shielding, i shielded the control cavity and both pickup holes. was there any point in doing the pickup holes? i already plan to run a wire from the control cavity shield to the one in the bridge pickup, and the neck pickup and control cavities are connected, but even then will it help?i seem to remember something about the shielding needing to be on all sides of the signals........i'll do it anyway, because i can, but will it make any difference? i do have some electrical knowledge, so if someone could explain it, i'd appreciate it.