Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another Juzek question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by estesbass, Dec 22, 2004.

1. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    hey guys,
    the label on the inside of my Juzek says "Master Art copy of Stradivarius, #403, 1962, made in Czechoslovakia". Obviously, it couldn't have been made in Czechoslovakia, becuase the shop was in Germany in 1962. What is wrong here, the 1962 date or the "made in Czechoslovakia" label?
    jon

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    All Juzek Basses are made by the Wilfer Family and thier sub-comtractors, i.e. Cottage Industry. B4 WWII they were in Czech. After WWII they moved across the German Border to avoid communist rule. Juzeks themselves are Czech. John was completly out of the picture by then. Robert ran the inport business from NY. John Never made any of the basses in his life. All the imports are Labeled/purchased instrumets from other shops in the region.

See here for their version of the story/history. It is pretty close to what I have learned from similar sources, one being from Germany himself up until the 1960s.

http://www.metmusic.com/history.htm

Enjoy....... BTW, it can't really be a Strad copy unless it's a blown-up Cello Shape... Strad never made a Bass!!!

Got some Pics?

3. estesbass

estesbass

Dec 6, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Ken,
    So, as I understand it, the bass was made in Germany by the Wilfer's (or sub-contractor), and imported into the Juzek shop, where it was stamped with the Juzek label that still says "made in Czechoslovakia"? Is this correct?
    jon

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Mst likely yes..... made by Wilfer in Germany, shipped to NY and labeled there.

5. estesbass,
    Check the Metropolitan Music Co. catalog 2005 (page 29). It seems that one might purchase Juzek labels.
    Jim