Yet another Keeley Bassist and other compressor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdh3000, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I know y'all probably get tired of compressor questions.

Is the Keeley Bassist more on the from the top limiter side or should it also level notes that aren't as loud as other notes the way other compressors do?

I know it says it's a compressor limiter, but thought I saw someone saying somewhere that it compressed from the top.

I've read alot on it and yes Ive read the reviews recommended on here, but nothing really says that.

I know I'm not real knowledgeable about compressors but I am trying to learn.

I'm just wanting to pull my notes volume together a little without totally killing my dynamics, smooth it out some without all the squash. I believe the Keeley is also transparent as not to color the tone.

I've got some compressors on my zoom ms60b, they are ok but would like something better.

I appreciate any advice and sorry for going over anything that you feel has been covered. I did a search through the forums and could exactly find this bit of info.

Thanks!

2. A TBer recently loaded this link which is priceless - As suggested - VIP read the FAQ first
    Compressor Reviews

3. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Yea I had read through some of those... there is some good info there... just not the specific question I had about the Keeley.

I'll go back and re-read the Keeley review, I may have missed something.

Thanks!

BazzaBass likes this.
  4. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Actually it was there... I guess I did overlook it. I thought I had researched it pretty well... pays to backtrack... Thanks!

BazzaBass and Gearhead17 like this.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And just to clarify, almost all compressors and limiters do their job "from the top" (reacting to peaks and reducing the volume in response). Then they have a separate gain stage that boosts the whole signal equally, so it sounds like the same average volume as before. That gain stage is what gives people the idea that some compressors work "from the bottom up", because it makes the quieter parts of the signal more prominent. It's just an illusion.

There are a rare few compressors that do work in a different manner, but good luck finding one (apart from maybe a plugin).

allintime and jdh3000 like this.
  6. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    You see I didn't know that. I know how ignorant I sound talking about compressors but it is relatively new waters for me.

This is good to know in looking for compressors and understanding how to use them.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022