Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YET ANOTHER latest BP complaint - Bob Rock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know he hasn't been with metallica forever, but he called Cliff Burton the founding bassist for metallica. He wasn't the first bassist. I forget the other guys name, but... the other guy.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ron McGovney, but he hardly had any impact on the band. At least much less than Dave Mustaine, who also was a Metallica member at one time.

So don't be too hard on him, you didn't remember his name either. ;)

BTW, anybody ever heard Rockhead? :spit:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But if I wasn't sure of a fact like WHO the founding bassist was, I would go proclaiming cliff founding bassist.

I heard Ron wasn't anything spectacular. I don't know what I thought of Dave's stuff in early metallica. I think getting kicked out of Metallica was the best thing that happened to him. That's what I love about early Megadeth, Dave Mustaine is ACTUALLY pissed off. Not pissed in the Nu metal sense. Real anger is impressive in music.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So because Bob Rock said something that might be incorrect you have a beef with Bass Player magazine?

I have a beef with the NY Times now because they printed something the President said that is incorrect :D

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Much ado about nothing. Find something better to be pissed off about.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nah, I just like pointing out imperfections in printed material. I didn't get pissed at what Hub said so... I figured I gotta point out Bob Rock's screw up...

Metal up your ass!... etc.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The beef I have is that a guitarist/producer is in BP Mag for recording unaudible basslines on a Metallica album.

They ran out of bassists to interview?

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, I agree. I look for intellect and accuracy in metal bassist's statements.

Oops! I forgot, I never listen to a word that comes out of their mouthes. My bad.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, that's probably why they interviewed Rocco Prestia and John Paul Jones...real "bottom of the barrel" kinda stuff.

They had the interview because there is a section of their readership (is that a word?) who has an interest (I read the interview even though I'll probably never listen to the album). Same thing for Prestia and JPJ. It's all about diversity. Maybe a producer who also happens to play bass will have some different perspectives to offer. I can't really remember if he did or not to be honest but I don't have a problem with them including the interview considering Metallica has been a very relevant band of the past 20 years. In fact I thought the 4 main interviews in this issue were pleasantly diverse.

Also, I thought the Rock interview was interesting just to hear what it was like for a guy who's not usually a member of a "megaband" to sit in with one for a while. I suppose it might be interesting to Metallica fans too to hear his take on playing Burton lines vs. the other guy's lines.

brad cook

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Please don't put words in my mouth. :)

Thank you.

11. what did hub say. is it the thing about 6 string and piccole basses.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh?

brad cook

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Actually, Ron was not kicked out of Metallica. He left. If memory serves me correctly, he couldn't hang with Mustaine's drinking and subsequent beligerent behavior.

My response to the inaccurate but not at all misleading comments is: BFD!