Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another les clapool thread!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Aug 28, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hello fello bassists and primus lovers,
    i'll make this short and quick(if your guys take that the wrong way...). can anyone tell me some kick a$$ bass titles by primus that i should give a listen and even try to learn!! thank you very much for the responses!!

2. if i were you i'd check out the entire antipop album, it's by far my personal favorite and most of the bass parts aren't too difficult, you could probably figure most of them out if you put some time into it. also wynona's big brown beaver and my name is mud are two other songs that are great.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, if you check out Cherry Lane Music, the sheet music guys, you will find that there is available, in two volumes, an anthology of Primus songs with notation and *gag* tab for bass, as well as guitar. I think between the two books, there are, like, 20 songs or so. If you're really into the Lester dood, you should check out Les Claypool and Holy Mackerel (Presents Highball with the Devil) and Sausage, both of which are Les Claypool side projects. Also, if you haven't seen it, there is a video of Primus live called Videoplasty, which features guitarist Buckethead...that dood rules...anyway...there ya go...

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well, here we go:

Cool and easy riffs:
    1.-Too many puppies (same riff with some variants)
    2.-DMV (my current favorite "easiest way to learn some tapping")
    3.-Groundhog´s day (if you want to do some slow-melodic flamenco Strum)
    4.-Spegetti western (some easy slap-pop after intro)
    5.-Toys go winding down (great way to learn triplets)
    6.-here comes the bastards (rythm)
    7.-those damn blue collared tweekers (easy riffs, hard solo)
    8.-Laquerhead (easy muted riff)
    9.-ballad of bodacious (easy slap-pop)
    10.-the thing that should not be (for headbangers)
    11.-my name is mud (if you get the steady sound of the slap)
    12.-golden boy (coolest and energic riff!)
    13.-tommy the cat (hard to get at first, easy when decoded)
    14.-Pudding time (see your fingers bleed when muting that fast)

no specific order, this is just a bunch...there are lots of great songs left.

"ladies and gentleman, please repeat after me:"
    "buckethead!"
    "buckethead!"
    "buckethead!"

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    american life is also a great piece for learning strumming.

good list though, otherwise, seems to have everything :D

6. in_exile

in_exile

Feb 14, 2000
    Hey, nice to hear people talking about Primus. I would listen to their early stuff. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ALL PRIMUS! The 1st CD, Suck on This, is all a live show (I love live music). If you don't then try their 2nd, Frizzle Fry, which contains most of the songs of the 1st but it is studio. Sailing the Seas of Cheese is most peoples favorite. Brown album is good (It was entirely recorded on analogue sound equipment instead of digital). Antipop is a superb album for the beginning Primus collection. It's new. It has a lot of technical playing and rocks out. Get your mouth wet with some MP3s from http://www.primussucks.com, it's in the Bootleg Barn. I like everything the others listed too.

-MCE-

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i love primus. however on the brown album i think les is playing up to par. you shoul get pork soda. the best song on there is my name is mud.

8. All of the above really, try all of their stuff. It's all good.

Everybody say..... LARRY, YOU'RE A BASTARD

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ANTIPOP!!!!!!!! and some dirty drowning man =oD in my opinon, brown alblum wasnt all that great.. but still all right,... my fav is sailing the seas of chees.. great riffs to jam on.. just need a guitar player who wants to jam on some primus... =oD

10. A Pathetic Bassist

A Pathetic Bassist

Sep 9, 2000
    Toys Go Winding Down is a good one, it'll teach you to play those triplets...pretty decent solo too
    i've played pretty much all of Primus' songs, and after a while some of Claypool's stuff gets repetitive, personally i like Frizzle Fry...Mr. Knowitall is a pretty tricky song to play also