yet another lw combo thread- cxc vs walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Dec 16, 2004.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I've read and reread the other recent thread on the lw combos, but not much light is shed on *my* (it is all about me, no? :) ) particular decision-- should I go with the eden cxc112 or mesa walkabout scout 12?

These two seem to be in roughly the same class as far as power, size, weight, etc. Any thoughts on which would be better in a stage situation with a PA, small to medium gigs with no PA, and practice amp use? I like pretty traditional tone, warmth and with good bottom.

I'm also considering the GK MB150 as well as Ampeg b100r, but I think they're not really too comparable with the cxc or the walkabout (are they?).

2. The Mesa has a real tube in the pre and an enclosure that moves a lot of air., But the CXC112 was too tall (big) for me. I would love to hear the Mesa and the cxc112, but I suspect the Mesa's enclosure design is going to move more air. And the head is removable. I just did not get the Mesa becasue they would not deal and it was too big and heavy for what I was wanting.

That said, I still dig my cxc110. With the little ext. cab, it is quite loud. And the funny thing is that the cx110 actually goes lower than the cx112, which has a bigger enclosure. The 112 must be really efficient or something.

I think if I had do get another small combo I would try the 29 lb EA whizzy cab (unpowered) and a small eden head such as the traveller or WT400.
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for the insight.

Maybe the powered version of the EA (the WZ112P) would be the ticket?

Here's what I'm thinking:

I'm currently using an SABDDI into an ART Levelar direct to the board. The PA's sub is right next to me on stage, but I want a better monitor source than just the sub. Since the Levelar's output goes up to +24db, I should be able to drive the EA's power section no problem.

Tech 21 has the Bass Power Engine 60, which would work the same way, but I'm sure it wouldn't begin to compare with the EA.
  4. Well it sounds likeyour pre is plenty hot to drive that, and then some.

But the EA cab is too nice of a piece to use as a stage monitor. If I had the powered EA whizzy cab, I would probably have a really nice preamp but lightweight, like an Alembic F1 or even that little Ampeg SVT tube DI.

But if you do get the EA or even the Eden cxc, it would really fill out the upper content nicely with your dub sub.

You can get a nice Yorkville powered PA cab for a lot less money. I have a set of their new unpowered PA speaks and they totally rock and each is 29 pounds. The material is not like that lame plastic stuff the others use. It is acoustically inert, and is actually a hardened foam. The horn lens is square so it can fire floor style as a monitor or vertically on stands. But they are medium throw, not near field monitors.
  5. bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    i have the cxc112 and while the head unit is great the speaker does not seem to get along with the cabinet at higher volumes.the speaker tends to distort easily if there is to much bass dailed in.great for jazz and fretless ,no good for bass heavey rock,funk,reggae.its a pity because the combo is just the right height so you don't have to bend down to play with the knobs and is not to heavy and is slim enough to lay on its side in a car trunk.quite a few T.B'ers have the cxc110 and have nothing but praise for them and the walkabout scout 12 looks great but i haven't used one.
  6. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Mesa Scout puts out an amazing amount of booty and tone for such a small box. It is the number one best purchase I have made for my rig. It can feed the PA or be used without it for many gigs. It blows away my old Super Redhead and Son of Bertha together.
  7. try rolling off your highs and leaving your bass controls flat. I would think dialing in too much bass on any combo would cause the speaker to distort at high volume. Treat it like an expensive stereo- crank it but leave the bass relatively flat and boost off.

have you ever hooked it up to an ext. cab yet?
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the Walkabout head, and have seen but not heard the Scout combo. I have also played the Eden Time Traveler 10 Combo. Based upon the above experience, I would expect both Eden and Mesa to serve you well, but I have a preference for the Mesa.

That said, the Wizzy suggestion (either unpowered with a separate head, powered cab driven by a preamp, or full blown combo) would be a great idea. On the Wizzy Combo side, they now offer a 500 Combo in addition to the 200 Combo. I would think that the 500 would be a better choice if you might consider adding a second unpowered extension cab, whereas the 200 might be easier to use with one or more powered Wizzy extensions, should you ever decide to got that route.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  9. It sounds like he has the lows covered in that he has a subwoofer. Maybe he would not need the air movment of the mesa or even a 112.

Maybe the cxc110 would be the way to go. Good dealer will sell for around 700.

We all know the mesa is 1100. But how much is the street price of the EA whizzy112/ Powered and unpowered, respectively?
  10. bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    i got the aggie 112 cab which has no probs with the head by itself bass 1-2 o'clock,mids same,high flat ,handles boost as well which i dont use.hooked together still have the same probs eden 112 doesnt like it.swapped aggie speaker into combo cab and no worrys.cxc cab looks to be about just under 2ft square volume so to me it looks like the speaker just can't handle the cab?any way 112 speaker sold and delta pro on its way for replacement.any other cxc112 owners out there?