1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another micro amp question, with a slight difference.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davrosnomates, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Davrosnomates

Davrosnomates

Jul 26, 2006
    I do believe I have read just about every thread on here concerning micro amp heads, mainly the eden, EA Micro300, the Markbass F1, and the Genz Benz Shuttle 6. While I accept that total wattage is importiant if you don't have PA support, it is not really an issue that affects me. Every gig I have ever played in and around London has had a PA. On the scene I play in, if a venue doesn't have a good enough PA, then bands don't play there. Because of this, all I really only need an amp to be able to hear my self, and for recording and so on.

So...

Wattage aside (all of these amps put out at least 150 watts @ 8 ohms, my guitarist and drummer are on the quiet side), which one do you all favor? The band I am in at the moment is a new folk/rock n roll band, but really I want the most versitle amp I can get.

I hope that covers everything.

Oh yeah, I'll be putting it through a Aguilar DB112.

Thanks a lot.

David.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The one that sounds best to you.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You'd better re-word that one....there's no amp that we ALL favor.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    To me a good versatile amp is one that likes everything you plug in to it and works great in any setting with a minimum of fuss. My GK micro combo was like that for me at quieter volumes and it sure looks like my new Markbass Little Mark II is going to be that way too... at ALL volumes!

I was looking for something warm, round, organic, old-school and deep but also with "presence". (Also wanting: "slap-friendly" and "acoustic".) I was avoiding anything "transparent", sterile, mechanical, muddy, clicky and/or easliy-buried.

Trying out the LMII, it seemed to nail what I was looking for almost immediately so I bought it. Good as it was in the showroom, it was even better on the gig. So I think I'm in love.

But that's just me - someone else might settle on a different head, even if they used the same adjective shopping list! :D

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The LMII is the one to beat IMO. Some of the other amps have better features, but in terms of tone, which is ultimately what counts, its the LMII all the way.

6. +1 Not all of us love the LMII. It certainly didn't work for me and neither did the Shuttle. I prefer the Mesa Walkabout, so that goes to show you the diversity here.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    man,

what sort of sound are you after?

i think the smooth soft sounds of the shuttle would be a nice match for the db112. in your case, its sorta ironic that you're using the db112, cause it is quite the midrange gut puncher with its aggressively pointed middle mids. a pair of db112 could easily plow thru a very dense mix. but the more easy going tone of the shuttle would be a nice complement to the aguilar.

8. I play an LMII through a DB112 and I really love playing that combination. Great warm tone, keeps up with the band, and just looks cool too.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have the iAmp Micro 300. I play it through 1 Bag End S15D. Mostly I'm playing in a new-grass, Gypsy Jazz, Folk Rock thing. Anywhere from 3 to 7 players.

The EA is more than enough - it truly is a micro amp. The EQ is powerful, well voiced IMO.

The input section is clever - It's a 2 channel amp. Starts on ch1. 1 press selects ch2, another press and if 2 instruments are hooked up - ch1 and ch2. I'm headed for a good small hifi cab and I'll be able to take both bass and an acoustic guitar in small spaces.

I could easily take it out and do a rock gig running 2 of the Bag Ends as well. I wouldn't bother - I have GK 1001 RB II for that and it's voiced for it already. The EA is more hifi - that totally works with the gypsy jazz guys. Volume wise - plenty of gig's have been done with 300 watts and 2 15's ...

I haven't had the iAmp long but - it's a keeper...

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey brother, how much did you pay for that Iamp 300? Where'd you get it?

That one's on my shortlist.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd wait on the Eden WTX-500.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    $300, shipped, used.

hope they do better than they did with the WTX-260. I could get behind an Eden micro that did what a WT 400 would ...