1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yet another mystery bass needing identification

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jzauner, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jzauner

jzauner

Apr 21, 2007
    well, I got this bass a few months ago, and I took it in to a few places but i have got a huge range of ideas on who made it. There is a label inside that says guadagnini, but obviously thats not correct. I will post a few pics of the bass on here. it is a very large bass (notice how high the bridge is sitting in relation to the f holes. Somehow with the high bridge, it still plays great, is loud, with an incredible tone, and a powerful low end. here are the dimensions:

Body length: 47 1/2"
    Upper bout: 22 1/4"
    Center bout: 15 1/2"
    Lower bout: 29 3/4"

pics are too big to put on here, so go to http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt52/italianbass/

thanks guys!

2. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  3. It's a very large bass. My guess would be German first then Tyrolean. I'm not convinced that the scroll is original. Very possibly a converted 3 string or at least the bass it came off of was. Someone cared about the instrument enough to replace the tuners (these may be the third) and the tailpiece. Ken will love to pick this apart. More photos would help immensely.

Armchair assessment....

4. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    nice axe. no idea as to the make, but that sure does look beautiful.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'm no expert, but my first impression was Tyrolean.

I just looked at the neck from my old Tyrolean bass (the only part I still have), and the scrolls are virtually identical. Even without the characteristic humps at the heel of the neck, the overall look of this bass says Tyrolean to me.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    It looks like a King to me.

DSC_0046.
    DSC_0043.
    DSC_0041.

7. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    :p

Photoshop time, Bass?

8. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Can you get a shot of the back of the scroll. At first glance it looks just like mine, which is a late 1800's Tyrolean. Huge bass with a long string length. Pretty girl though!

9. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    do you really play it with the bridge in that position? did you change the soundpost position?

10. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    What it really needs are some of those nipple-corners.

11. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    where is the soundpost located in the bass because your bridge looks to be in the wrong spot...

12. Can't you tell? The soundpost is right where the big soundpost crack is!
    Seriously, I would say Tyrolean as well.

13. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry, no-can-do. It's a gamba.

14. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    :p:p:p

Laminations! I see em! Definitely a king..

15. mocorob

mocorob

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    looks like a nice bass, but I'd be concerned about the bridge being so far away from the center of the ff, don't think that allows the bass bar to evenly distribute the pressure on the top. Also the afterlength is long, which I've found leads to wolftones. have no idea what the bass actually is though!

16. jzauner

jzauner

Apr 21, 2007
    Yes, the bridge is really high up. The soundpost has been moved as well. It is a normal string length. The neck is still a d neck too. It was set up like that when I got it. No, I don't think it puts much stress on the top being there. I have not had any wolf tones at all either. It is still really loud and punchy, you can feel the air moving from the low notes. I will uploAd more pics tonight. If you have a similar bass, please post pics. I want to figure out who made it. Thanks guys

17. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    As I understand things, it's very rare to find an individual maker for these Tyrolean/Bohemian basses. I'd just enjoy it for the bass it is and not worry too much about the unknowable.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that my scroll has the same filled screw holes in the positions they would be in to mount the two-on-a-plate tuners.

18. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    That bridge location is scary. Bad news. Take it to a luthier... wait, you say you took it to a few places. Were they bass luthiers? If so, did they really leave the bridge like that, or is that your own work?

19. I'm starting to think I've played this bass before. Was it purchased from a private party? There was a guy selling a similar bass years ago in I want to say Stewart, NY? Huge thing, very nice. It was on Net Instruments for quite awhile. Does any of this make any sense?

20. jzauner

jzauner

Apr 21, 2007
    finally back home. I love a fresh rehair :) anyways, yes, the bridge is really high. It was professionally set up that way before I got it. The previous owner said it was that way for as long as he has had it. There are no signs of the top sinking or anything. It is a very sturdy top from what I can tell. They set it up and it plays like that so I am going to leave it. Both bass luthiers (yes, bass luthiers) didn't say it was dangerous. one said it was astonishing that it was still a D neck with normal positions. Its truly a wonderful orchestral bass. its a bit big for solo, but manageable. my recital is in less than a month so it obviously works. Anyone have pics of a bass that looks similar? more pics are up on the same photobucket as well.

bad hack job on the scroll too :( I intend on taking of the mechanical, having the scroll rebuilt, and putting on a gated extension.