Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet Another Networking Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by groovit, Mar 14, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey-

I have a workgroup network set up at home, both wired and wireless. Two PCs, one on 2k Pro, one on XP Home, that are hard wired in to the network. I have another PC wirelessly connected that triple-boots to XP, 2kPro and Fedora Core linux, but it is not on the network right now. I also have an iMac running 9.2.2 hardwired in. Occasionally I have a laptop wirelessly connected running XP Pro. My networking setup is: DSL modem--->Linksys Wireless G with SRX router with 4 port switch--->Linksys 8 port workgroup switch. One of the hardwired computers is plugged into the wireless router in the attic, and the iMac and other hardwired PC are plugged into the workgroup switch on my first floor. I have an Epson Stylus Color 1280 USB in the attic computer, and an Epson Stylus Photo R320 USB on the downstairs computer. I have drivers for the R320 set up in the Mac and right now I am just switching the USB cable between computers.

Here's my issue. Ever since I purchased the Wireless router, I cannot see the attic computer from the 1st floor computer. Also, I want to get file/printer sharing set up with the Mac, but I do not know how. All the computers can access the internet, including the Mac. What do I need to do to set this up?

Thanks much!

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    let me guess...you cant connect the XP home and the win2k computers properly? if so, those two are notorious for being a pain to network outside of a domain environment...another smooth move by microsoft.

as for the printers, can you hook one up to a windows box and share it out. it may be easier for the Apple to see if connected a windows box vice the other way around.

3. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Actually, I could see the XP/2k computers just fine prior to introducing the wireless router into the signal chain. They shared files, printers, everything without a problem.

Right now the printers are both hooked up to the windows machines and shared. I can't see them through the Mac. I tried the "Connect To Server" thing on the Mac, using one of the PC's IP addresses as the server, but that didn't work.

Another thing, I can ping the Mac's IP from the PC computer.

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    A couple of questions need to be answered first.

1) The router setup as a firewall?
    2) Do your computers get their IP address from the DHCP server on the router? Or are they hard coded?

3) Can you ping each other computer from each other computer? Can you ping the router?

If yes to 3) then you should be able to "see" each computer from each other computer. If they aren't showing up in network neighborhood that's another thing. So with the xp and 2k machine try this. Start/Run. In the run dialog box type "\\ipaddress" where ipaddress is the address of another windows computer. If explorer starts up and you can see the shares there's probably a DNS issue on the internal network.

How did you have it setup before going wireless?

Your 8 port switch, that is just a switch or is that also a firewall?

5. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    1) Yes, the router is set up using the firewall right now.

2) All the computers are getting their IP's dynamically from the wireless router.

3) I can ping the Mac from the computer that is on the switch with it, but I cannot ping the computer that is on the wireless router from any other computer.

Prior to going wireless I had the switch upstairs. All the computers plugged into it were PC's, and I had no networking issues. Now I moved the switch downstairs to enable the Mac to get on. Also, the switch is only a switch, no options to change, no IP address to access.

6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    So when you were running just the switch you were getting IPs from the ISP?
    Your 8 port switch, that is just a switch or is that also a firewall?
    Can you ping the mac from the computer on the wireless router? Need to know if it is a one way or two way problem.

If you can ping one way but not the other my guess is you have the switch setup in the uplink port and it isn't suppose to be or it using the uplink port when it should be.

If you can ping both ways then it's a DNS issue with your router. It isn't resolving the computer names correctly. Then you have to see if you can access the shares via IP address. On the PC on the wireless router type "\\ipaddress" of the PC on the switch. And visa versa. Where ipaddress is the ip address of the other machine. If you can view the shares there definately is a dns problem. If you can't then it's a microsoft networking problem.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    on the mac, does anything show up in Finder? you might also have to setup SMB with the workgroup name or enable Windows Sharing in Preferences/Sharing.

8. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    According to the documentation provided in the Linksys router CD, it does not matter if you plug a switch into any particular port. Apparently, it auto-senses whatever is plugged into it. Now, my DSL modem is also a DHCP router, so I tried turning off the DHCP routing on the wireless, but everything went to hell, and no one could get on the internet. If I turned off the firewall feature on the wireless, would that solve the issue between the two PC's?

Also, how do I ping from the Mac? I have basic Mac experience, nowhere near my PC experience....

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Running OS X? Then you are using unix :) There's a terminal somewhere in OS X, I think under utilities.

I'd keep the firewall on the router up, and dhcp. ISPs generally don't like it if you use up more than one of their IPs, it costs them money.

Is there an uplink post on either the router and/or switch?

If I understand this correctly, one windows machine is on the wireless, and one is on the switch. Can those two ping each other? Then in theory the mac should be able to ping the wireless computers.

"Now, my DSL modem is also a DHCP router, so I tried turning off the DHCP routing on the wireless, but everything went to hell, and no one could get on the internet."

That makes sense because your wireless was still setup as a gateway. So your internal computers can't see past the router. When they went to get an IP address from a dhcp server they couldn't find one on their network.

If all else fails you could setup up everything as you had it before and put the wireless behind the switch. Then setup the wireless router as an access point, not a gateway. I think gateway is setup by default. But I wouldn't do this if you switch isn't a firewall. I wouldn't trust the DSL firewall, I assume that means the ISP is firewalling your DSL connection. And that the ISP is giving you IPs. Again, that is not a good idea since the ISP has to pay for the IP block. you only need one IP going to the wireless router. The router will give out internal IPs to your computer. And you are much safer that way.

BTW, when you get this setup and want to talk about wireless security give me a ring :)

"I have another PC wirelessly connected that triple-boots to XP, 2kPro and Fedora Core linux, but it is not on the network right now."
    Are you using ntloader as your boot loader? Or lilo or grub?