Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another new addition!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gard, May 31, 2001.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, recently I snagged a Bogart fretless 5, and not too long before that my beloved Aretha - the NS Design CR5M EUB. You'd think my GAS would be satiated. But, you'd be wrong! :eek:

In a surprise development, I became aware of a guy not too far away (Sarasota, FL, about 2 hrs away) who was quite fond of Bogart basses, and in particular the fretless ones. It turns out that he had in his possession a Zon Sonus Special 5 Fretless, which while was originally made in '95, now had a brand new neck on it. Somehow, and this is totally beyond my comprehension, UPS managed to practically break the headstock off the Zon....WHILE IT WAS IN A HARDSHELL CASE! :eek: :( (the pictures he showed me almost made me ill). He sent it back to Joe Z, and UPS shelled out for a brand new neck, phenowood fingerboard with bubinga lines to match the body top. While it was there, he had Joe Z remove the POS Wilkinson bridge :p and replace it with the far superior Zon bridge. Basically, this is a brand new bass! As killer as the bass is (and trust me, it IS killer :D), it just wasn't for him, and we made a deal, straight up trade. (I won't tell you what I had in the Bogart, it will just make you sick ;)...mebbe Brad Johnson's luck is rubbing off on me!!!)

Looks incredible, the bubinga top is fabulous, and it sounds and plays even better. Took it to a rehearsal last night, and after the guys all laughed at me for having yet ANOTHER new bass, they all jaw dropped when they heard it. No more burying the bassist now :cool:!!! The drummer in particular loves it, as he can now hear everything I do (I still haven't figured out how he considers that to be a good thing, but to each their own heh). While cutting through the band (and it's a LOT of cutting: LOUD guitar, keys, timbales, congas, and drums, in addition to a lead vocalist and even a 4 man horn section on selected tunes), it remains a warm sounding bass. I've got some gigs coming up over the next 3 days, and am looking forward to giving it a thorough workout.

Oh yeah, in keeping with tradition, she's already got a name: Tina (as in Turner). A bit more rock & roll and aggressive than Aretha, but nonetheless a marvelous performer.

Hey, anyone in San Francisco aside from jazzbo (who's sadly gonna be out of town this weekend)?? I'm playing at the Black & White Ball with Tito Puente Jr Saturday night, hoping to get someone to gimme an objective opinion on the tone of this thing from out front! :D

I'm hoping to have pictures of the whole family online by next week sometime, so watch this space for developments!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You're one sick, sick man. :D

Congratulations!!! Man, I need some money.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey gard, good job. :D

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats on the bass & the gig w/Tito Puente Jr. Good luck on the gig w/the new bass!!!!!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As much as I don't care for Zon cosmetics, (e.g., headstock), I can't deny they are one of the finest sounding basses I know of. And that's what really matters.

So, I'm happy serendipity has shined on you, Gard!!!

Do you or any of the BC guys have any idea as to why the Zon's sound is so up front?

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Wow! I'm impressed. One: By the wonderful basses. Two: By the Tito Punete Jr. gig. Three: That you will be in San Francisco, one of the world's most beautiful cities.

I can't wait to see your bass "family" here. I know they are well loved.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hmm...I actually LIKE the asthetics of the Zon Sonus', including the headstock. Now the Modulus Q series headstocks on the other hand...ugh ;). And they do indeed sound wonderful, and it's the main reason I've got it :).

Luck favors the prepared, and I was getting ready to do something with the Bogart, I just couldn't get comfy with the unlined fingerboard on loud stages. Call me chicken, but I likes the lines.

As for the "upfrontedness" of Joe Z's progeny, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that he specifically designed the Sonus Special series to cut through a dense mix without sounding too strident. Some kind of voodoo with body woods, pickups and their placement, and the graphite neck. Whatever it is, it WORKS. The guitarist in my band was giving me dirty looks all night last night, because he couldn't bury me, but I wasn't too loud. The drummer loved it! ;)

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    JO -

Thanks! :D

1: Lucky, that's all I am, I've now got 5 INCREDIBLE basses (gotta find time to update that profile!! :eek: ). It's all about being in the right place at the right time, ask Brad Johnson about that sometime ;)!!!

2: Again luck, in that luck favors the prepared (I've heard that SOMEWHERE before...hmm...). Also, it's who you know. Our conga player, Carlos, had done some gigs with Howie Dorough's (Howie D from the Backstreet Boys) side project, Howie got Carlos involved in his yearly Lupus Foundation Benefit concert last year, Tito Jr was at it, and connections were made that lead to the situation now at hand. Of course, the band had to be good enough to cut it, luckily I work with some INCREDIBLY talented musicians. Side note; The Lupus Foundation is having it's yearly benefit tomorrow night at the Hard Rock Orlando, and we're playing a short set there! :cool:

3: I'm looking forward to being in San Francisco again, it's been far too long. It is indeed a beautiful city. The downside is that our flight leaves Orlando International at 7 am Saturday morning, after the gig at the Hard Rock the night before!!!! I sure hope I can sleep on the plane some....

As soon as I get home (Sunday night, midnight :rolleyes: ) and recover from the 3 day grind I'm about to start in a few hours (figure maybe middle to end of next week!! heh), I'll get the camera out and crank up the scanner!

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, try living here for long enough! Okay, I didn't mean that, maybe we can talk privately and I'll share my feelings! It really is a beautiful city. :D

Why oh why GARD do you have to come to SF for an awesome show when I'll be out of town?! Such is life. Congrats on the new bass. Got the pictures you sent me. I really dug that NS. If you get bored with it, I'll give you my address while you're here and you can drop it off at my house. I've got an old Ibanez TR70 I'll trade you. Straight up! :D :D :D

Again, good luck with the gig and with Paris! You're the man. While this is usually reserved for JT, I think it applies in this situation:

"It's your world dog. I'm just a squirrel, trying to get a nut."

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice snag, Gard. Almost feel guilty, don't ya?;)

The Sonus Special fretless is a sweet bass. I think the "up-frontedness" of the sound is a combination of Joe's neck, selection of tone woods, the Bartolini electronics and most importantly on the Special, the placement of the pickups, almost like a superwide bridge humbucker. You won't get the same sound with a standard Sonus. Everything just aligns to produce a sound that cuts without being brittle. Amazing bass. Congrats.

If the fretted models only sounded that good;)

"Luck favors the prepared"

That's my mantra, too:D

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    jazzbo -

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed you can't make it too :(. Oh well, NEXT time! :)

As for swapping the NS straight up for your Ibenhad TR 70....well, to use a quote from the first Cheech & Chong record: "Are you out of your @#$%ing mind?!?!" :D

Thanks for the good luck, and I'm looking forward to the Paris trip (any Parisians here? :D). And WOW, I've been raised to JT status, even if only temporary. I'm honored!!!! ;) What's your preference, pea, wal, macadamia, brazil, or cashew? I'll drop off a can...(that's just the kinda dog I am WOOF!!!).

Anyhow, have a good trip to San Diego, and hope your girlfriend does well in the run!

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Brad (I promise to never use your initials ;) ) -

Guilty?? Me?? Not even a little bit, nada, zilch, bupkis. :D

Your description of the tone and how it happens is pretty much what I'd think and describe. As a matter of fact, if I were to describe the sound of this bass, it would be Jaco's J tone crossed with a MM StingRay, or "Jaco on steroids". I haven't run across a fretted one, are they really that much of a let down after the fretless? :( Oh well, and that was the next item on my wish list, a Special fretted 6. Guess I'll have to alter it to the standard with a nice top instead....sigh....somehow, I'll get through this.... ;)

As for mantras, I'll fess up: I stole yours!!! :D

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry I missed this one, Gard. Actually my son goes by those initials and so far no one seems to make the connection:D

With the fretted models it's probably not so much that they sound average or bad as it is that the fretlesses sound so damned good;). I just checked out a used Fodera fretless and didn't get the slightest twinge:D

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Gard...when're we gonna get some pictures, eh?