Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another new bassist...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SKiRgE, May 25, 2001.

1. SKiRgE

SKiRgE

May 25, 2001
    Hey all, you guys have another new bassists mind to corrupt, j/k. Well, I got my Rogue Bass about 2 weeks ago, and have never touched a guitar in my life, it's just something I've wanted to do. So, I've looked around, trying to find some sites with free lessons, etc, with nothing really worthwhile. I used to be able to read music, and I still can, to a point, by taking a known note on the bar and counting up or down to what the new note is. I still don't know any of the note names on the fretboard, and think I have already been turned towards the dark side by starting off with tabs.

Let the comments fly, guys.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Muuhaha, a fresh piece of clay to mould in my own terrible image! ;) (Sorry, I get a bit egotistical if I forget to take my pills.)

Welcome to Talkbass - I'm sure you'll find a lot here that will be of use to you. There aren't any specific comments I can make, but have you tried www.activebass.com and www.libster.com ? I've personally found quite a lot of use from both those sites.

Good luck, and I hope that we don't scare you with our strange ways. :eek::)

3. Hi SKiRgE, and a :D Warm Welcome :D toTalk Bass.

I think the Activebass site is very good but I've never been to Libster.com.

I'm not sure whether or not as a non-guitar player you're non-musical too. How you approach your learning might be, to some extent, dictated to by this fact. Some sort of tuition will help enormously, I'm sure.

My philosophy to learning the bass (being self taught) was really quite simple. Well quite simple to say but not so simple to achieve.....! I decided the only way to play the bass effectively was to make sure that I was able to put my L/H fingers exactly where I wanted them to go, when I wanted then to be there. Likewise, the R/H fingers should pluck the strings when they needed to be plucked. Further, I've four fingers on each hand and I made it my business to ensure I utilised them all. OK, I only pluck with 3 but use all 4 on the L/H, and always have.

It mean's of course, loads of finger exercises. I watched some of the greats and followed them. I also watched classical players (bass, cello, violin, etc). Today I still do loads of finger exercises just for the shear hell of not allowing my L/H fingers to beat me.

Of course, what I've said takes no account of the musical aspects of playing. For that you'll have to learn to read notation or TAB, or play by ear.

There's loads to say on a subject like this but perhaps there's a start for you.

Rockin John