Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet Another New Geddy Lee Jazz Owner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I've been renting one of these for the past month and really, REALLY enjoying it. You just seem to radiate a different vibe when you play one of these.

Unfortunately, the only way I could make it all happen financially was to trade in another member of the herd to bring the purchase price down. But, after much soul searching, I headed into the music store after work today, did the trade-in, and made the GL mine. I also picked up a replacement black pickguard and put it on a couple of hours ago. Now this bass KILLS, both in sound and looks.

I'll see how the tuning machines fare in the next little while. But, if I have to upgrade them, it should be no problem.

Now the collection boasts at least two great basses: The Fender Geddy Lee and an all-black EB MusicMan Stingray with a maple board. Looks like Black and Maple is shaping up to be my new schtick.

Just thought I'd share the great news.

(Now, off to update my TB profile.)

2. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    sweet....lets see it man!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool! I love my Geddy Lee. When I am in a four banger mood, it is the first bass off of the wall for me. I wish I could find a 5 stringer that sounds just like it.

4. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    congrats! I will soon be joining as well. I am moving in a month (anyone else on Long Island?) and as a treat to myself im trading in my ibanez guitar and vox amp (why i bought a guitar and amp, i have no idea, i suck at it) and picking up a geddy.

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Now you're talking! :D

6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis

The tuning machines always seem to have a bit of "play" in them, but most Geddy users who leave them in say they do the job fine. I immediately replaced them with Hipshots American Classics, but I wish I had given the stock ones a chance.... :meh:

7. I've given the stock tuners a chance but I had to retune the bass after each song.

Mine were really crappy but I guess they could be stock tuners that are just fine.

Welcome to the HUGE Geddy Lee club. Mine has exactly the same look as yours since I changed the white pickguard into a 3ply black. this bass looks sounds and plays GORGEOUS!!!!:D That is the only 4 banger i kept.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Welcome! I LOVE my GL, and have no problem with the (albiet rather cheap) tuners.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. That's really bad. I have to tune mine a bit if I haven't played it in several days, but I have never had to retune between songs! If mine were like that, I would replace them too.

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    what bass did you trade in?

11. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I agree, the Ged is an AMAZING bass, i found it better then some MIA j's.

Btw, nice sig nataku :D

12. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey nataku.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about the trade-in.

I had to get rid of my Aria Pro II SB Black 'n' Gold II. It may seem crazy to most of you, but I really had to struggle with that decision for the better part of a month. I am a huge SB fan from way back. And, when I finally found one of these just hanging on the wall of my local guitar shop, I just had to have it. But, it was haunted with problems. I tried my best to fix them because I felt I really owed it to the bass (and myself), but it just never came together.

The Geddy Lee is a stellar instrument, and the only way I could make it mine without really screwing myself financially right now was to get rid of something. And, the Aria SB just wasn't holding its own in the collection, so it had to go.

I'm still a huge fan of the early 80's Matsumoku era (Japanese-made) Aria's, though. Always will be. Maybe one day a better one than the one I had will come along. But, I'm not worried. I still own an amazing mint 1981 Aria Pro II TSB400. And, even the Geddy is made in Japan. So, all is well.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It took a long time for me to buy my GL bass due to all the basses I played had bowed necks. Now I attributed this to store setups and lack of attention amongst other things. I also have another black MIM dlx jazz with a badassII bridge and a White pickguard so I didn't go for the GL bass until I found one new with low action for $599.00. I just could not pass that up! Now that I have one I have never had neck or tuner problems with mine. Mine stays tuned and the neck stays pretty straight. Did they change the GL tuners because mine have no play and have been rock solid till now.

14. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I bought one about a month ago. I love the action and tone. One of my tuners was really bad so I went ahead and replaced them with some Schallers. Unfortunately I also went ahead and had to get the frets deburred (right where they bevel off ) since they were kind of sharp. Now I'm totally happy with the bass. It originally cost me $599.00 with a case. The Schallers and fret work only added another $80.00 so I still feel I got a good deal. It sounds great in the mix.The thin neck is fun to play and it looks terrific. I drew alot of attention from the other guys at the jam session.

15. jawboxfan

jawboxfan

Mar 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    for all of you who are changing the pick guard on your Geddy Lee jazz bass... are you you just buying standard replacement pickguards? i tried to get a tortoise shell guard for mine and was told that it would not fit the GL. is this just a bunch of baloney?

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Amen, brotha. I'd love a five string GL.

17. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, Jawbox.

Regarding replacement pickguards: I replaced mine with a standard Fender brand Jazz guard. I'm assuming that you should be able to do the same if you can get your hands on a tort one. I'm not sure why you were told otherwise.

Good luck with the change-over.

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    No. The screw hole pattern is different. If you don't mind doing a little drilling (I think only a few are diff), then you can prolly get a standard PG. If not, then there are makers who have the GL template and make one that will screw right on.

I've been there.

19. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Strange.

The black Fender pickguard that I bought when I bought my Geddy Lee Jazz recently fit pretty much perfectly. The only real difference was that the original pickguard has that extra screw right in the center.

Mind you, the replacement pickguard I have doesn't fit absolutely EXACTLY right at the control plate, but it's pretty darn close.

20. jawboxfan

jawboxfan

Mar 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    thanks for the replies guys.

i found a few shell guards over at terrapin guitars and it looks like they have a specific Geddy Lee size.

so i guess i'll try ordering one.