Yet another New Standard thread

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. This past weekend I picked up my La Scala laminate #190 from the venerable Arnold Schnitzer in Brewster, NY. The great reviews on these basses are many and unanimous, and you can add my name to the list. Mine looks wonderful, plays like butter, and sounds terrific.

Unlike many or most of you NS owners who have posted here, I purchased the La Scala to have as a backup or alternative to my main bass, a fully carved Gagnon which is the only bass I've owned for 15 years. I figured if I'm going to get another bass, it's not going to sit in the corner -I'm going to get some use out of it. So my carved bass will have a more old-school (half gut) setup, and the La Scala with Spiros will be used where a more modern approach is called for, or higher volumes, or outdoor gigs where I don't want to subject the carved bass to the heat. Not that I plan on mistreating the new girl, mind you. It's just great to have another option, and to know that if I ever have to take one bass to the shop I've got another one I can gig on. And the La Scala is every bit as gigworthy as the Gagnon, which is valued at 3 times the cost of the former.

Arnold was a pleasure to meet and deal with. While I was there, he was kind enough to evaluate the Gagnon, and advise me on some work I am considering having him do. Not only that, but gave me a free soundpost adjustment to boot. He was complimentary of the Gagnon, as it is one of the older ones built before Jaques lost all of his good workers and wood resources.

I am enjoying getting to know the new bass. It is really fun to play. I can definately see why Arnold's reputation for his FB dressing and set-up work is unmatched. The Spiros are still untamed, but once they mellow I'm sure it will sound even better. Wil did a nice dark finish at my request, and I am very pleased with the look. I know you'll want pics, so I will try to post some ASAP.

Call me another satisfied customer! :hyper:
  2. Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm drooling in that direction myself. Pics soon!
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Congrats T-bal! Welcome to the party!
  4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Congrats. FWIW, I put Superflexibles on my LaScala and I am very happy with them. Not as bright as Spiros.
  5. Congrats T-you will not regret buying this bass. I have spiro orchs on my Cleveland and have wondered what it might sound like with obligatos. However, I love it's current sound so I don't plan trying anything else anytime soon.
  6. Congrats Tom,
    Glad to see that you got the La Scala. :hyper: Pictures, pictures, please.
  7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes, but the Cleveland is a more manly bass.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Phooey. I'll go toe to toe with your Cleveland any day. My bass can beat up your bass with one string tied behind its back. * :spit:

*(My nanny-nanny-boo-boo is honed to a razor sharpness. Can you tell?)
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'd be glad to have the Cleveland around my house. Just to compare it to my wimpy La Scala, y'know.

Are you listening, Santa?
  10. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    I'm seriously considering one of the New Standard basses once I accumulate the funds to do it. To those of you who own the New Standard basses, why did you choose Cleveland over La Scala or vice versa? I like the shape of the La Scala and the fact that it has a slightly shorter scale since I am not a large person, but think the description of the Cleveland fits my playing a little more--jazz, country, folk, etc. I'm torn between the two so I'd like to hear the rationale behind your purchase.
  11. Thanks, y'all. Larry, I tried out a Cleveland some months ago with superflexes, and they didn't do it for me. I'm going to give the Spiros at least a month, then I may consider a different D & G. But I'm in no hurry.

12. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    T-Bal...give the spiros a chance. It will take a good month for them to come into their on with that bass. I noticed with other basses the D & G on the spirocore set are too bright, but that does not appear to be the case with the Cleveland (at least to my ears ;)).
  13. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Just curious, what didn't you like about the Superflexibles?
  14. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Perhaps we can do a New Standard version of "West Side Story".

Or better yet, we can modernize it a bit. Would our LaScalas be the Crips or the Bloods?

<practicing flashing bass-gang signs>
  15. I had an Engelhardt ES-9 that was a very good bass but when I had an opportunity to play the Cleveland beside it, there was no doubt in my mind that I had found THE bass I was looking for. I haven't heard a La Scala live so I can't really compare the sound of the two.

One thing that might make a difference to you would be the shoulders. The Cleveland is very broad across the top which might take some getting used to if you spend time in thumb position.

I am about 2.5 hours SE of Nashville so you would be welcome to drive over and give it a good thumping.
  16. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    This was the main reason that I went with the LaScala.
  17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Basses at 20 paces . . .

18. Gentlemen, start your basses...
  19. joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    Congradulations on your new bass T-Bal!

Lets see it!

Here is a Cleveland I just couldn't help myself from.

The lows are fantastic, and as far as size goes, it is not too cumbersome at all. I am using it for some folk/bluegrass gigs and have set it up with Eudoxas E and A and Damien's guts for the D and G.

Attached Files:

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    To the tune of "Somewhere"

CLEVELAND, they sound so good.
    even better than some carved wood,
    sound so good when you play a gig
    sounds so big
    and clear.