Yet another ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 31, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ok, I understand that running an ohm load lower than what your amp is rated for is not good. My amp head is rated for 300w@ 4 ohms. I have a 4 ohm 210 cab. If I ran my 8 ohm 410 along with my 4 ohm 210, it will damage my amp-right? Thanks for your help.
  2. Yah, that would probably be a bad idea.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Overheating or death await your amp... Don't go below 4 ohms if that's what its rated.
  4. DON'T.............................DO IT MAN!
  5. The 4 ohm plus the 8 ohm would result in a 2.66 ohm load going to your amp. Not a good idea.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, ditto that. Your amp will fry, the world will come to and end, and all kinds of other bad things will happen.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sell your 2x10 and replace it with an 8 ohm version. Then you'll be able to run both cabs at once.
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If the amp head is well designed, it should have some kind of current limiting to prevent damage from the 2.7-ohm load impedance you're contemplating. However, while it may be protecting itself, it probably won't sound good, so that would be inadvisable.

As Pete said, if you replace the 4-ohm cabinet with an 8-ohm one, you'll be able to run both together. Until then, you're limited to one at a time.
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama