1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yet another ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EviscerateNick, Jul 28, 2008.

1. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    i know that two 8ohm cabs equal 4ohms but if i am using a power amp that puts out 300w a side at 8ohm and 500w at 4ohm with two 8ohm cabs will the cabs be getting 300 or 500 watts a side? if this does not make sense let me know. i know nothing about this. thanks

ps. the power amp i am using is a carvin dcm1500 and the cabs are eden 410xst

2. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    If those ratings are both per side, and you're putting one cab per side, you'll be getting 300 per cab.

3. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn.

If it's really a stereo amp (since you said "per side"), each speaker gets 300.

On a single channel, the amp will put out a total of 500 watts, with each speaker getting 250.

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    one cab per side is 300 watts per side, 600 total. 2 cabs on one side equals 500 watts total, 2 cabs on each side equals 500 watts per side or 1000 total.

5. ReidK

Here's an idea: I looked up the specs for the dcm1500, and it can put 1500W into 4 ohms in bridged mode. Unless you really need stereo (different sounds coming out of each speaker), you'll get the most power that way.

Reid

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    And unless you're friggin nuts, you will never need 1500w of power in the backline.

7. ReidK

As long as there's a good house system, sure, but sometimes the "backline" is all you've got. And if there's no downside, more power reserve is always a good thing.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    From the Eden website:
    Our 1000 watt D410XST features a deeper,stronger low end than the XLT, and a more open, transparent midrange definition and exceptionally flat studio-like response along with reduced size and weight. The tone is wonderful, well-balanced with a smooth, effortless quality usually reserved for the studio. If you like high-definition and low distortion coupled with a big sound, this is well worth the auditioning. Massive internal bracing and optimum bracing make for extremely tight lows.

So going bridged with the dcm1500 and the two 8ohm 1000w cabs should pretty much cover every venue.

Get some ear plugs.

9. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Wattage has very little to do with SPL Depending on what you are applying the power too.

And just because you have a High wattage Rig, doesn't mean you need to push it to its limits.

In rigs with passive Xovers it is often better to have higher than rated wattage than lower because you can destroy some HF drivers when you clip your amp, because clipping generates HF Harmonics and increases the total power delivered to the HF section.

I have a sub that runs 2KW, but its not super efficient, so its not ear blisteringly loud. But it takes a lot of Power to get them sufficiently loud for moderately loud live performance.

Antone-

10. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    thanks everyone it all helped

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021