Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another pickup height thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Did some searching on this topic and found a lot of threads... then decided to raise my bridge J pickup on my reverse-P/J Ibanez. Wow! There's the bottom I was missing from my bridge pickup! Sounds great, except now the E & G strings are louder than the A & D. And the Ibanez bridge doesn't have adjustable saddles to lower the center strings... I don't know how you J-bass guys deal with this crap ;) But hopefully some of you do. Is there any way to equalize the string volume with a flat J pickup? Or am I doomed to just clamping it back down into the bottom-less zone, and going back to using it just to mix in a little high-end harmonic fuzz over my awesome reverse P... ?

Currently GASing for a neck-thru BC Rich with dual reverse-P's...

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    This isn't a pickup answer, but have you considered a new bridge?

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Not until now... but I don't know a different bridge would help that much. I would adjust that for action first - so lowering a string for pickup volume probably wouldn't be an option.

Instead I'm considering who the heck thought a straight flat pickup without adjustable pole pieces was a good idea??? :bag:

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    But you could lower the A&D strings with adjustable saddles.

As for a flat pup J pup, I play a P, I can adjust anyway I want :D