Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another piece of rack gear...Electrix MoFX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 20, 2006.

1. well, i have been getting bitten by the ebay bug for the last few weeks, and one piece of gear i come out with was the MoFX

[​IMG]

its a cool little piece of gear, its got a flanger, tremolo, and a delay that you can actually sync all together just by pushing one or two buttons. The delay is cool, one of my favorite things about the delay is that you can set it up for infinite repeats (looping) and then you can disengage the delay and set up the other effects to solo over it! pretty cool. also, another aspect that i like is that for each effect you can have it effect the lows, mids, or highs, or any combination of the three...for example, you can set the delay to effect the lows, mids, and highs, the flanger can flange the lows and set the tremolo to the mids and highs...that works kinda cool with my guitar because i can set the delay to do just the lows, so then i can have a psuedo-bass doing a short loop, and then go nuts with the rest. of course the only shortcoming i see is that you can't have the flanger and/or the tremolo feed into the delay, so no matter what you can only delay a clean sound (which may not even be that bad)
    also it has a distortion/insert circuit, and the distortion isn't great, it messes with the volume too much, but the insert is pretty cool, you can take your existing effects setup and feed it into the MoFX, and then screw with the MoFX effects as you please...

i kinda like this box...

plus the thing lights up as bright as downtown Duluth!

http://www.electrixpro.com/products/mofx.html

2. i take that back...i just figured out how to use the distortion, and it sounds awesome!
    analog (modeled) distortion lol!

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Any updates here? Another TBer I know got one and loves it (jkdahlman).

4. hmmm...Im Pretty sure Squarewave is selling one of them at the moment :)

5. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Indeed I am. I give some of my (positive) observations in the first post: Click Here

6. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    I've heard great things about all of their pruducts

7. I really liked mine (as you can see) actually I liked it so much that I bought a second one and ran them in series (more for the sweet delays and tremolo) and then ran out of money and sold both of them :(
    I still want another one though :)

8. you didn't get sound clips?

im thinking about the 2.0's

9. no sound clips, but there was certainly some cool craziness that could be achieved :)
    I was looking at the 2.0s when they were first announced, but I am skeptical--they look identical to the first run--so is the description...so that may be the opportune time to get a 1.0 mofx...

10. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    The craziest thing I have done with mine is to patch it in to the side-chain trigger of the Pigtronix EP-1 (envelope filter++). I was able to modulate the filter in ways similar to patching a synthesizer's LFO to a filter as mentioned above.

One of these days I'll try it on the trigger input of my ultra-cool Peavey (yes I said Peavey) analog filter and see what crazy sounds can be made. How about a square-wave modulation of the Peavey filter based on subdivisions of the tapped-in tempo, driven into self-oscillation by the filter resonance, then dumped into my Filter Factory for additional LFO-controlled analog filter sweeps.

Better yet, if one was to provide a midi clock signal to both the MoFX and the Filter Factory,one could play around with the beat subdivisions on both devices, while the master clock keeps it all in sync. Man, am I a geek? I used to make music, not weird sounds.

I have all kinds of ideas running through my head now. The MoFX and FF are really versatile.

Of course, the MoFX is also good for plain old effects.
    You don't have to do crazy stuff like described above for it to be a worthwhile device.

My FF needs a pretty strong signal to behave properly, but I can't recall if the same is true of the MoFX.

Jeff

11. What happened to these guys?

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Electrix? Some years ago they decided there was more money in the karaoke-machine industry than there was in effects units for musicians, so they dumped their entire line of effects, every distributor had them on blowout for a while, and they tried to be bigshots in karaoke. That didn't work out so well. They went out of business, then somebody was going to buy them and start it all back up, then that deal fell through. Then somebody else bought them, made a bunch of promises about new versions of all the effects, showed off some prototypes at NAMM, and that was that. Dead in the water. I don't know if it was individual mishandling of the finances, or legal disputes of whatever kind, or what it is, but the company has been on hold for a long, long time. I would not expect any new products from them until pigs fly- no matter what you read on Harmony Central. ;)