Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another plea for help w/ choosing a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz, Aug 21, 2001.

1. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    I’m getting ready to make the jump to a 5 string and would like some input. I’ve done a lot of research through posts on TB, but I figured I would throw out the basses that I like for any additional input you might have. I’ve been playing for almost 10 years and have been playing a Peavey for most of them. I play mainly rock/modern rock stuff, some slap and a little jazz. I really want a good all around bass since it’ll probably be another 10 years before I buy another!I’d like to spend around $600-$700, but would probably be willing to go as high as $1200. I’m willing to go used, but haven’t seen much variety in the used department and I don’t want to buy used gear online unless I’ve played it before.

I liked:
    MM Stingray – I finally got a chance to play one that was setup correctly… Awesome
    Peavey Cirrus – Saw a new one that has been on the rack for a while. I’m not sure what exact model it is, but it was marked at $1200 and I got the impression that they would let it go for under $1000. Sounded like a good deal.
    Dean – made in Czech Rep. It was a neck-thru and I think it was about $600. Don’t know much about them.
    Spector 2000/5
    Warwick FNA

Tried, but not my thing:
    Ibanez
    Fender MIM or MIA
    Peavy Millenium
    G&L 2500 (yeah, I know it’s a great bass!)

The only MTD dealer near me does not have the kingston or the heir, so I haven’t been able to try either. So far, I’m leaning more towards the Stingray or Cirrus. Any input would be great.

2. those are all good basses, look at cort they are really underrated, if you do go more towards the less expensive side the dean would be a great buy I played one a few months back and I liked the sound and feel. but like I said before they are all good basses and just pick the one that sounds and feels good to you. IMO feel is better then sound cuz if its unconfortble to play then its not fun, you can always change the pickups and hardware.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The Musicman and the Warwick FNA are both great choices. I happen to have both of those basses and they are really nice playing basses that both have great tone.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd go with a used MM Stingray 5, which can be had anywhere from $7K -$9K. Very versatile, built like a tank and very comfy. One thing that gives it an edge over others is that they're so popular that if you decide it's not your thing and want to sell, chances are you won't have to take a loss.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, spaz!

FWIW, Matt Schmill finally got his new bass of the month up, a 5'er;

- Spanish cedar back with a lacewood top plate
    - Lane Poor pickups!!!
    - Gotoh tuners & Schaller bridge
    - bloodwood neck and paudak fretboard

It's tuned E-A-D-G-C, so I guess it would need wider nut slots cut or a new nut if you wanted the traditional B to G five-string. $800 new (I'm not affiliated with him in any way) -

[​IMG]

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What are these Stingrays made out of? Gold?

:D

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    ..no, but their is a ruby inlay, with knobs made out of diamond, and the nut is made of the the spine of a human.

I would look into warmoth, you can find a used warmoth bass already put together for realatively cheap.