Yet another question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roargasm666, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Roargasm666

Roargasm666 Guest

Aug 8, 2001
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I'm not very familiar with all of the amplifier jargin. So what does the "clip" light mean? Is that like a limiter, because when it comes on I still don't hear any speaker distortion so it really doesn't make any sense to me, but I spent too much money on that cab to chance blowing it.
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Someone didn't read the manual...
  3. Roargasm666

Roargasm666 Guest

Aug 8, 2001
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Actually I've just downloaded it, but I thought that someone would actually be nice enough to reply and it be a little quicker than adobe was being today. Thanks man. You're an inspiration to us all. If only my IQ were that high.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well from what I understand (which isn't necessarily much) clipping is when the amp starts to make square waves instead of nice...uh....unsquare waves. Square waves are DC current, which speakers don't like, so you don't want to clip your amp. That's all assuming you're using a solid state amp, not a tube amp, where things change.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The "Clip" indicator is telling you that the amp is clipping the output signal.

Clipping occurs when you push a signal through the amp that's hotter than what it can fully reproduce. Any amp can only put out so much voltage, and if you try to push it beyond its limits, it'll just clip off that part of the waveform; this "flat-tops" the wave. If you push the amp way beyond its limits, your signal waveform will approach the shape of a square wave, which would be very, very severe clipping. A square wave is not DC, but a square wave has twice as much power as a sine wave of the same peak voltage. And putting too much power into your speakers for too long will kill them; that's the true danger of clipping.

Clipping can be mostly inaudible if it's just a really short occurrence on a transient, so you might very well see clipping indicated on the amp before you hear it.