1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Yet another) request for opinions on selecting a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim11895, May 23, 2011.

1. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    Greetings TB'ers,

I'm looking for a 5-string bass. I already have a Modulus Flea 5, which is pretty versatile, NEVER goes out of tune, and has been extremely reliable (I'm knocking wood right now). I gig pretty regularly and feel it's a good idea to have a back-up. (Plus I've got a little GAS, imagine that!!!) With that in mind, I'm thinking a more vintage sounding bass would be a nice complement to the Mod. I play mostly classic rock, through a GB Streamliner 900 and a pair of Avatar Neo 210's.

I'm committed to 5-strings, and am looking at the Lakland Skyline series (the P or J models). I'm also looking at used Sadowsky Metro basses, but they are likely way out of my price range unless the deal of the century falls into my lap, and now I just thought that the Carvin SB5000's might be interesting. Based on the Lakland and Carvin price points, you pretty much know my budget. The hard part is that I know I need to play these to make my own judgment, but I'll never have the opportunity to compare these head to head at once. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each? Any other makers I should consider.

Thanks all.

2. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have yet to hear anything negative about the new Carvin SB5000/1 basses. Even people who weren't fans of Carvin seem to love them. If i were to get a "vintage" style bass, that would be my choice.

Lakland skylines are nice, but imo, Carvin for around same price is American made, has unmatched fit and finish work and has more options.

3. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    I've heard good things about the SB series from Carvin as well, and they seem like a good value for the $$$. But what has me intrigued (and apprehensive too) about the Laklands, is the 35 inch scale. I gotta think that does wonders for the B string, but I worry it might be an adjustment.