Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(Yet another .... !) Sadowsky question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassaussie, Jan 16, 2004.

1. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Hi guys and gals,

I have a question for the Sadowsky owners of the forum. Yesterday, I tried a Fender Aerodyne bass, that, as you most probably know, has a P/J configuration. Overall, I thought the bass was quite nice for the money, but the thing that intrigued me was the sound. There was a certain “honk” to the sound that I really liked, and that I know I don’t get from my own basses. It didn’t sound like a P or a J, but somewhere in between, which, I guess would seem fairly obvious!

What it’s made me wonder is this - how would a Sadowsky sound with that pickup configuration? Just to recap, I currently own two Sadowsky basses – both are 4 stringers with ash bodies, maple boards and J/J pickups. My question is this - if you have any playing time with both Sadowsky J/J and P/J basses, could you give me a comparison of the sounds from these two? I know that a few of you guys own (or have owned) both – JimS, jokerjkny, Ari and bikeplate all spring to mind, and I’m sure a few more of you do as well, so any thoughts, comments and experiences you could share would be great.

If you do make a post, could you please tell me the exact configuration of the basses you’re speaking about – not just the pickups, but also the woods used on the basses.

Thanks, Mark.

2. I've got a beautiful Inca Silver PJ/4 coming in March. Most of the PJ's are Alder and chambered, but you can get ash too of course. It was recommended to me to get alder and I like that wood better anyway. I got the Morado board too. I am told this bass nails the P-Bass sound in passive especially. I'll let the experts take over from here.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey BA!!

mighty good to see ya on these parts again.

but hey, you could always get both: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are my two main basses (obviously ;)), but i've actually been using the rosewood/alder PJ more often now. always thought i was a maple/ash guy, but this PJ has certainly changed my mind. for fingerstyle, its been my main bass for my trip hop band, and my funk rock group.

Pbasses seem a little holllow in the mids for my fingerstyle, and i'm usually rolling the tone control nearly all the way down to compensate. while, JJ basses dont have that "kick drum" like awesome punch of the P bass. but put them together, and its the best of both worlds! the rear J pickup fills out the hollow'ish P pickup, while the P pickup adds a healthy lower ended kick.

the V5 is brighter and more cutting, but if i just roll back the PJ's sound to the rear pickup, i can get that slicing rear pickup sound. i've never been a fan of the front pickup on the J's, so having a Pbass pickup there, seems like the perfect upgrade for me.

tho for slap, i kinda prefer the thicker more even sound of a pair of J's, whereas the PJ has a more doinky, hollow, honk like snap. the slap tones are almost a tad bit attenuated in the mids, and has a wider swath of highs to lows. but when you're thumbing hard, you really feel it! but if you dig Victor Wooten's PJ slap tones, its in that ballpark.

i now have it with a reversed P pickup, alot like how Rocco Prestia has his Pbasses setup, and its fattened up the higher strings, while tightening up the Low B. the route in Sadowsky's are rectangle shaped, so if you change your mind, you can flip it back. but i couldnt be happier with how it sounds now.

its fast becoming the "Joker" tone. so much so, i've been really toying with the idea of just using an Avalon U5, so its as pure as an Avalon massaged Sadowsky tone as possible. :cool: also, cause i'm digging the PJ5 so much, i'm actually considering putting the V5 on consignment with Roger, but i've been really waffling on that idea.

IMHO, the PJ5 is definitely one of Roger's more versatile basses.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Jokey, I was hoping you'd post on this thread. I've seen you showing off your two basses quite a bit lately!! :D May I congratulate you on your excellent choices! ;)

What you've said seems to go along with what I was thinking. I have this sound in my mind that I think the is what the Sadowsky PJ would be like, and it's close to how you've described it.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Joker,
    I've been coveting your P/J 5 for a while now :D

I had a Fender RB5, which was a great bass but didn't quite nail the P vibe.

I had a great Fender P/J Hot Rod Precision, but I need a 5 for nearly everything I do.

We need to have a bass get together, I'll bring the Elrick and MTD and you bring your P/J and Elrick SC (if you still have it).

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    All of Talkbass should have a show and tell gathering where we can all bring our exotic and non exotic basses and amps and listen, test drive other instruments that can never be had in one store.

Perhaps a regional event so people on the West coast can easily gravitate to each other, same for Midwest and East Coast etc. Hmmm.. Perhaps time to start a new thread and see who wants to play?

Love that Sad PJ by the way!

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey dave,

thx man. funny, but after you got your MTD, i nearly pulled the trigger on this one:

[​IMG]

man, the GAS was killin' me on that one. but i promised myself no purchases until i sell my Elrick and two Roscoe's.

but, i love the RB5! doesnt have the P punch, but after hearing Cpt. Scarlet's, one meatie note got me hooked. that whole dual J setup actually inspired alot of the tones i'm gonna have in my upcoming Imperial Fretless 5. should be sweeeeet.

wouldnt mind if Roger thought about doing a dual J package, too. an option on the Moderne's, perhaps?

and yea, we should get the NYC'ers all together! those philly boyz (even tho, i'll be there ;)) shouldnt have all the fun. :D

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the RB5 is very cool with the series/parallel operation. It's the best passive bass I've played, the best Fender I've played. If only it nailed the P sound.

You could definitely get that going with the modern Sad's - there's the EMG HZ passive pickups which can be wired series/parallel. They also now have the 40TW active pickups for 5 string which can be switched between single and dual coil. Not sure if Roger would do that as a custom option or if you'd have to do some aftermarket work yourself.

Was that MTD the one that was in the window of Rudy's? I remember they had a very sweet one in there a while ago.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nope, this one was over on Bass Central. sold to a gent in the Far East. an ever tasteful buckeye burl top, eh? but i think Rudy does still have a cool 6 string with a dark top. btw, been GAS'in for a warwick 6 string... :eek:

oh and BUMP for BA. anyone else out there with more long term opinions and insights you could offer him??

12. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Jokerjny made a nice sound description regarding these two basses... I will try to complete it based on my experience.

I own two vintage 5 strings from Roger, a Jazz5 with ash body and maple fingerboard, and a PJ5 with alder body and rosewood fingerboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound is difficult to describe, but I'll try. When the balance is at 50/50 on both basses, I think the PJ5 is a bit more compact sounding, it is more slicing and more edgy than the JJ5.
    The JJ5 sounds more "loose", IMHO. The PJ5 sounds darker and the JJ5 has a nice warmth in the lows. When slapped, the PJ5 is great, but that is where the JJ5 really shines.

I am big fan of 70s and 80s funk and overall I prefer the sound of the JJ5. I really dig Marcus Miller slap tone and the JJ5 gets closer to this tone than any of my other basses.

Furthermore, I think the PJ5 is a bit more difficult to play, it is more "unforgiving" than the JJ5 (something you often hear about MTD's but I think it applies for this bass too). The harmonics are richer and stronger than on the JJ5. I don't know if it is alder, or the different pickup configuration, but you have to be really careful about your muting technique, more than with the JJ5.

Overall, the PJ5 may be a more versatile bass. It can get you vintage P tones and it sounds great in combination setting when played fingerstyle or slapped. When balance is on the bridge pickup only, I feel it sounds a bit thicker than on the JJ5. But I prefer the fingerstyle warmth and the Marcus slap tone of my JJ5.

I can record a few soundclips so that you can hear the differences, if someone is interested...

13. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks Ari, that's some excellent information. I've heard some of the soundclips you posted in the past (and which made me a BIG fan of JP basses ;) ), so I'll go back to those and have another listen.

14. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    YES! Since when was anyone NOT interested in sound clips of great basses. Please share. The best thing would be to play the same thing on both basses so we can hear the differences! Thank You in advance!

15. I have a
    • Sadowsky jazz 4
    • swamp ash body
    • quilt maple top
    • birdseye board
    • jazz width neck
    • Sadowsky PJ4
    • alder body
    • spalt maple top
    • Brazilian rosewood board
    • P width neck
    Overall, my PJ4 sounds darker than my jazz. And this is pretty much do to the woods more than the pups. When I solo both basses to the bridge J pup (which is an identical pup in each bass of course), the sonic differences in the woods are apparent.

I love and purchased my PJ4 for the combined or blended pup sound; the solo'd pup tones are great but that blended tone is special. I hear it as more focused pronounced scoop in the mids than my ash jazz. My ash jazz has a smoother yet broader dip in the mids....as I hear it. This is pretty weird to put ito words.

I think a good way to hear this is on Wooten's "Me and my Bass Guitar" and "You Can't Hold no Groove." Granted he's using a set neck Fodera PJ4 but that same combined pup funky scooped snappy tone is remarkably similar.

The ash jazz has more pop or attack and is a bit more defined in it's tone. Pretty classic Marcus tone but if I roll the treble off with the passive tone you get more traditional classic J bass sounds.

Both sound wonderful and both sound and play quite different. Which was my goal and the modus operandi for my 2nd bass: a different tone but still killer everything as you'd expect from a Sadowsky.

All the bass parts on my CD were recorded with the Sadowsky jazz. I didn't get the PJ4 until later on.

I wonder if Anselus has Sadowsky PJ4 sound samples for you?

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks Jim, more great stuff there.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

man, you're sooooo makin' me wish my bass was sunburst!

but hey, if you could get some samples, that'd be great for anyone else wanting to hear some Sadowsky tones. especially, those of the lower end, near the low E, D, C and B notes.

IMHO, the PJ style really lends an authority and punch to that lower end of the spectrum that makes groovin' on one, really addictive.

18. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    That is a drop dead Gorgeous Tobacco Burst! With the quilt? WOW! When will the GAS madness ever end?

19. Sadowsky in the name of this thread, and no Nino.

Something must be terribly wrong ..

20. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Joker:
    Those are beautiful, especially the 5. How do you like the 34' scale of the Sadowsky fives? Comfort and soundwise.